Music room

Looks great! The shelf itself is already an artwork! Good luck with the rest of the room.

Thank you!! (^v^)
Definitely worth the work!

Should start compositing today! Whoo!!! Looking forward to the final renders!

Things that were added:

• Side tables
  • A flower on the piano in a glass vase
  • A plant in the corner
    Use the tree generator and it looks fantastic, even used a plane for the ground (thanx bizla) and added a particle system with some leaves.
  • The lights (lamps already in, but their light has to come from somewhere)
  • A sun
  • A seperate render layer for the lights, so they can glare if in view (still need to seperate the lights’ architecture from the lights themselves to a different layer)

Still need to add:

• A music stand
  • Electrical outlet

Still need to do:

• Add detail to the sofa (three seater).
  • Compositing
    • Lens distortion (hoping there’s a duplicate node option in this case)
    • Glare for the lights
    • (will see what else, lol)

This is just a very quick test (the shadows will not be this harsh at the end) of the glaring and how to get it done right:

Obviously, there are some issues with weird looking shadows that go one way, but not the other, but I think I know the reason (the lamps may be set too high).

I found out that if some materials are thin (like say a plain) and you have a really bright light, it responds like on that short film: Lighthouse:

The guy was walking up the stairs with a lantern and though the window (which almost looked like sail), you could see him walking. A lot like that, so I made the ceiling extremely thick and that softened the shadows a lot (from inside the ceiling, it looks like an attic, but not an extra room, more like where you’d find insulation). So it’s currently rendering an overall view (also added molding to where the ceiling meets the wall). The lamps were lowered a little and the light samples increased to 10 (not all lamps, only the 4 in the space and the sun).

I added the ‘arch way’ wall they have as an entrance (think the one I added is bigger, but I’m not sure). Duplicated it for a doorway (still want to model a door) and that should cover everything to make it pan-able.

Still need to add the music stand. Oh, also changed the water in the vase’s material to distort more, because I mean water is like glass, it distorts, magnifies and defracts (I didn’t add defraction though). I didn’t add water in the vase though. I just solidified it, extruded a loop twice and collapsed the second. Selecting only that, I applied a material to that separate from the vase.

Don’t know how long the render is gonna take. Just wanted to let ya know how it’s going (^^,).

Looking awesome XD can’t wait to see this render

Here it is folks! Haha. 2hrs 5min and 44sec later, lol.

What a day’s work!!! Never imagined something like this! Not done yet, but I like it so far.
That space on the floor where the light shines in looks like it needs a rug or something. Just something to fill up the space, but I also kinda like it open. It’s like the space welcomes you in to perform or listen as it is right now. Luv it!!!

Compositing not done yet. Some has been done, but lens distortion and a whole host of things I still want to add, though still keeping it simple, because the scene doesn’t need much post (I don’t see that it does).

One word… WOW

Thanx bizla! Really means a lot!

Don’t know if you noticed, but the rose was missing in this render. I remember sitting down when it finished to look at everything: ‘where’s the rose?!’, lol. After a long render you don’t wanna find out you forgot something, LOL. It’s re-rendering with the compositing now, so looking forward to posting it!

Here’s the current render with compositing. It was kept simple, node set-up below the render.

Node Set-up:

Yes, this would be considered a simple node set-up, lol. The main layer is the room with all it’s items. The layer called ‘Light Source’ is the lights in the room and the sun (not visible in this render due to angle). You can see it’s glare clearest on the light closest to the camera.

Still to do:

• Model the music stand
  • Reduction in specularity on the vase (it’s too white from the lights above)

Still on fixing the vase:

I’m struggling to find the right value in the IOR field (ray-traced transparency) to increase the stem under water, but so far it only shrinks, lol. Think it has something to do with the speed light travels through water.

Received the solution! Any value below 1 (IOR) gives you a zoom of whatever is in or behind the water material. 1 is neutral and looks exactly like Z transparency in the preview.

i love it xD the texture on the petals looks great, the piano tex close up doesnt look as good, but stil nothing bad, i think its because it looks as if the entire thing was made out of one solid piece of wood (probably not that noticable to other people, but im a carpenters son lol)

Thanx! Didn’t realize their texture was visible.

Yeah, the piano does look like it’s one piece, lol. It was modeled almost as one piece (I think it was my first real model).

I have considered making it black, like most grands, but there’s just something about the grained wood ones, they just have a charm to them. Like Vanessa Carlton’s. I think it’s cherry wood, the one she had on the Thousand Miles video. I was going for that look, mixed with the busy texture of my upright piano.
You’ll also notice that the flow of the grain goes against typical wood construction methods, because it would be bent against the grain (under that pressure not the wisest choice, lol).

Do you do carpentry too? I don’t, but think it’d be cool!

yeah i love those petals, i really do :slight_smile:
haha well that explains why it looks like one piece :wink: yeah wood grain grands do look nice, slightly antique looking xD
I dont, but he taught me alot, so i could probably go into carpentry if it interested me enough lol.

Coolness! (^^,)
They do have an antique look. Never thought of describing it that way.

Here is the vase working right, but for some reason it still looks odd. I think it needs to stretch horizontally and there needs to be color seperation (those RGB lines around the edges of things underwater), but I know very little about node materials, so I think for now this’ll do, eventhough it looks a bit odd, lol.

Wow Looking good . Not trying to be picky or anything it’s just that the texture on the piano looks a bit repetitive .All the wood on the piano should be different everywhere but thats just me being picky .Apart from that it’s exellent.(looks like the piano I have)

its good to see the water refraction is sorted :slight_smile: but i do think either the vase needs to be thinner or the rose a bit bigger, its just usually a single rose is put in a very thin vase, but other than that i love it :slight_smile:

@Rigged: Thanx! Glad you like it!

It is repetative, lol. It’s what I believe people call a procedural texture (those that Blender generate).

@bizla: Thanx! Me too!

I have shrunk it down already, lol. Will look at shrinking it some more, but only on the x and y axis’, because the stem’s length I would prefer to remain as-is.
Thanx for all the feedback!

That is simple, yet effective. It is beautiful.

• Lukas