My Custom Built PC - What can I do with this?

Hi All,

I am new to Blender but not very new to 3D. I have been using Daz Studio and Adobe PS for creating still images. However, now I want to move ahead and create my own animated movies and props and environments and what not. So I built this PC with whatever I had. I dont have any money left, so cant go for higher RTX cards. Sorry!
Please let me know if I can use it for Blender and Unreal Engine. ( I will also play games when I am bored :stuck_out_tongue: )

|Processor| AMD Ryzen 7 5800X|
|Motherboard| MSI MPG B550|
|CPU Cooler| DeepCool GAMMAX L240|
|RAM| CORSAIR 16 x 2 3200 MHz|
|SSD| Verbatim 1 TB NVMe M.2|
|HDD| Used WD 1 TB |
|PSU| ANTEC NEO850GM Gold|
|GPU| Galax 3060 OC 1 CLICK|
|Case| Deepcool CL500 4F|
|OS| Windows 10 Pro Lifetime|
|Keyboard| ANT Esports Mk3200|
|Mouse| RAZER Deathadder |
|Monitor| ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ|
|UPS| APC 1100 VA BX1100C|
|Ext HDD| 2TB SEAGATE 1 TOUCH|

Many Thanks!

Here is a sample of my work in DAZStudio and PhotoShop. using my simple 6th gen i3 processor and no GPUs.

Hi, looks fine to me for stills and small animations but not for Pixar movies. :slight_smile:
It should be possible to add a second GPU on the MSI board, at least a 2 slot GPU like RTX 3060. You UPS is fine for two cards.

Cheers, mib

1 Like

Thank you for motivation!

Any other inputs?

Just that it’s a really bad time to be looking at buying a rig, for me locally, the price of dGPUs is between 2 & 3 times the MSRP and since this is the major portion (dGPU plus matching PSU and motherboard to optimise GPU performance) of your cost, this can easily double the price of your rig, so much so, that it has me considering buying a Mac Mini but for the lack of Linux support…

That said, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU, for RAM 4000MHz (eg. G.Skill Trident Z Royal Series DDR4) or faster (eg. Thermaltake TOUGHRAM RGB DDR4 4400MHz) for better single thread performance thus X570 board which also supports CPU overclock, not sure if 1TB SSD is worth the price if you add 4TB HDD and 256GB M.3 for less, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 12GB better value, sadly the best bang for buck card is still the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Super (correct me if I’m wrong, neither Evee or cycles use the Tensor/ray tracing hardware of the RTX series cards) but you will need Linux to use two non-NVLink cards or more simulatiously (and it’s free, Blender runs better, less prone to crash and renders faster, AMD GPUs don’t need proprietary drivers and work well with Proton, lacks surveillance tech but for Chrome, I like it and suggest Fedora 34). Liquid cooling is probably not worth the extra installation hassle but is possibly less noisy than say the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, I would suggest the Noctua NH-D15.

and @T_Sourav
Hi, RTX cards use ray tracing cores with Cycles Optix, the GTX 10xx or 1650 simulate them with Cuda cores. I could use non NVLink cards on Windows and Linux, even my old GTX 760 + my RTX 2060 but the 760 was so slow I sold it.
I use a 100GB partition for Windows 11 but if I want to add one game it is full.
SSD are cheap and for maximal loading speed for Games or big Blender files you cant use HDD.
@T_Sourav for what you need the 4 TB HDD, video editing?

Cheers, mib

I never managed to use both my cards to render a single frame at the same time/share VRAM on Windows, that said it has been a moment…

@T_Sourav, new Ryzen’s are most efficient with high speed RAM. 3000 series have sweetspot at 3600MHz. I assume that newer gen have it even higher. So if I were you I’d definitely go for at least 3600MHz.