My desk

First post. I need help. (I’m ebarrased enough just to post this mess)

Between jagged edges, bad lighting, and no knowledge of the tools in blender, you might get something like this: (see attatchment)

From suggested tutorial links, to individual critique, I’m open for it all.

Thanks for the support.

Attachments

Hi there abelmiah! Welcome to Elysiun! :smiley:

Very good for your first post - don’t worry, everyone has to start somewhere!

To address some of the problems that you stated yourself:

Am I right in thinking that your spotlight has buffer shadow activated? If that’s right, increase the samples value in the lamp’s settings to reduce the jagged edges.

Try turning down your specular values on the materials of the objects - they’re overexposed so it’s difficult to see what’s actually happening. I’d also suggest turning down the lamps a bit - especially the spotlight - too bright! 8)

Try turning on Ambient Occlusion in the World Settings - it fakes global illumination. It’s a very good way of making sure lighting is even, and also improves the look of your model drastically! If you find it looks ‘dirty’ increase the samples value under Ambient Occlusion (this will slow renders).

The speakers could do with a bit of smoothing. Select the faces you want smoothed and press ‘Set Smooth’ under the Edit Buttons. You will probably find that you end up with horrible black marks when you do this, so press Ctrl-N in Edit Mode to recalculate normals.
Alternatively, enable ‘Subsurf’ under the Modifiers tab. This will turn your speakers VERY rounded! However, selecting individual edges and pressing Shift-E, then increasing the ‘Crease’ value to 1 will crease those edges.

Hope these points help, and that I haven’t just overloaded you!

You’ll find many tutorials at http://mediawiki.blender.org, as well as links to external tutes.
:smiley:

EDIT: I’ve just realised, I think you should make the desk structure more strong - those legs will snap like twigs!

Welcome to Elysiun abelmiah.

The monitor base and post on the chair need smoothing, as indigomonkey suggests for the speakers. Also the base of the chair looks too small. I’d fall over right away!

It helps when posters describe the look they are aiming for. Do you want photorealism, toonish, film noir? Will the scene be animated? These decisions affect your choices for texturing, lighting, and rendering.

No way! Simply one of the best welcoming forum replies I’ve had in ages :slight_smile: I will give attention to each of your points to keep the progress going.

Thanks indigomonkey

In fact, I owe this thread an apology. I purposely intended my vagueness. This would allow me to know what options I have to work with, as I have not a clue what Im doing lol.

Thanks!

No need to apologize, I’ve certainly had “Blender block” more than once.

When you’re happy with the model, you might enjoy adding some textures to your scene. Try putting an image on the monitor, bumps on things that should be bumpy, a fabric on the chair. The wiki chapters on this are very helpful.

I hope you’ll keep developing your skills with this scene.

Thank you for the suggestions everyone :smiley:

I like how the smoothing worked out. I also like how dimming the lighting helped (too bright :wink: ).

Now what? Focus on modeling? Focus on shadows and lights? Focus on textures? Hmm, seems like there are 3 big steps in modeling 3d. Anyway, would love for some more criticism.

Attachments

I’d suggest more modeling right now. Add details such as keyboard and mouse, cables, maybe some of the hardware on the desk and chair. To soften that CG look, bevel the sharp corners on objects like the monitor.

Why not add details that make your scene say something more, or tell a story? You spilled your coffee when the alien invasion started; you won the lottery and tricked out your computer. I find such things keep me more interested in finishing my works; maybe this should be step Zero for all hobbyist modelers.

Right on.

Add details such as keyboard and mouse, cables, maybe some of the hardware on the desk and chair. To soften that CG look, bevel the sharp corners on objects like the monitor.

Tough, but will be fun.

Why not add details that make your scene say something more, or tell a story? You spilled your coffee when the alien invasion started; you won the lottery and tricked out your computer. I find such things keep me more interested in finishing my works; maybe this should be step Zero for all hobbyist modelers.

Step zero. Sounds catchy. Probably could throw that into wikipedia :wink: I truly appreciate you voicing your ideals. I agree with them very much. Probably this blend could be written in notepad with a few coordinates and such and anybody could reproduce it. Then where’s the variety in our art?

I’ll do my best to keep with this project. I have a bad habit of letting things go.