I decided it was time to update my avatar on Facebook (The current one is a Family Christmas Portrait which going into May seems out of date.)
I wanted to learn more about UV mapping - texture mapping and particles, so an updated model of myself was in order.
I’m posting this here before updating my Facebook Avatar.
There were several things that I did wrong when I built the model.
- The ear must have had some messed up Geometry. When I tried to unwrap it, there were several faces that would not unwrap correctly. I hit CTRL-N on them without effect. Finally I deleted them and replaced them with new. This worked to some effect but the new faces would not accept the UV Mapped material.
- Blender would crash every time I tried to introduce a second Particle system, so I extended the hair to include the eyebrows and my mustache. My Eyebrows are not anywhere near that bushy. (My mustache actually looks like the model quite a bit of the time much to my wife’s disappointment.) To reduce the bushiness of the eyebrows I greatly reduced the number of child particles and added more parents to my hair. That helped but my computer probably hates me every time I hit Render.
- I never tried to create a specularity map and my texture maps are not as detailed as I could/should go. (This is the area I would truly love advice.)
Assuming I can learn what to do an maybe by 2015 I would be trying to enter a Blend 2 life contest.