My file crashes?

Just got a new GPU (PowerColor RX 5700 XT) and using 2.81a was working on some bath bubbles so the file contains a Volume Scatter & Absorption Material and was also trying Particles.

The problem is the Viewport in Shading Tab I tried to preview render a small section of the particles not the material it crashes (monitor also goes off then back on).

It could be my GPU but after testing …
Tried re-creating just the Particles method in 2.8 & 2.81a which seems to work ok,
but when I try the material everything is ok until I add the Voronoi node. I tried Checker but works ok and tried a Voronoi texture for particle density but also works ok.

foam-281a.blend (1.7 MB)

Really want to find out if it’s my GPU if anyone has an RX 5700 XT ?

Ok it’s still either Blender or “the” RX 5700 XT, but I do know it’s not the GPU I have, I tried a Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+ and has exactly the same crash.

I tried uninstalling Blender along with AMD Software and started over fresh, also re-creating the project from scratch and still have the crash happen. So I guess either the card is not fully supported or a bug.

There must be someone with the same card ?

It was the card, I’ve swapped to an RTX 2070s and all works fine now. Also liking Optix even though the clocks are similar (with CUDA) the 2070 renders much slower than RX 5700 XT but much much faster with Optix.

I still think AMD should have more support.