My first and second try of sculpting an ear

Hi guys,
I am new to sculpting and blender. I tried to sculpt an ear for the first time ever after seeing 1-2 tutorial on youtube the result was BAD to say the least :smiley: However, I decided to go back to my anatomy books (I am a physician) and resculpt it again. I think there was a little improvement. I just need constructive feedback on the second sculpt to see what should I work on. I would appreciate comments or even advise to improve my blender learning.

Thanks in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

There was a lot of improvement!

Goes like that, gets better as we go along.

Some points.

1. The triangular fossa is a bit too small.
  2. The antihelix needs to protrude and not sink in.
  3. Maybe the antitragus area needs to be a bit more defined.

Otherwise looking good, keep it up

Shaun

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I really appreciate it :slight_smile:
I will keep sculpting the ear for now until I feel that I got it then move to the nose next :smiley:

Great work. Sculpting is interesting, but hmm, it is a quite a practice makes perfect tool, compared to the other way of creating a model.

1 Like

How would you recommend I practice?

I wouldn’t be one to give advice, more like the other way around. I find that tool interesting, since it seems more natural, but it is a tough one. I haven’t made any object using that.

I was fortunate enough to create a few models with my time with blender.

1 Like

As a casual observer i have to say both of the ears look wrong. You probably already know this and the problem is how to improve you skill and become an expert 3D sculptor. I think the question is, how long is it going to take you in terms of practice hrs, is it worth it, and do you have enough natural talent to do it…
How to improve it is a tricky question its almost a neuroscience problem… How good is your brain at observing references and using knowledge of anatomy and translating that into a 3D sculpt using tools like a mouse, a tablet and blender software???

I too am just starting sculpting ive had my drawing tablet since last sunday. And this ear is about my 2nd attempt. feel free to critque.

Also note a drawing tablet is absolutely imperative if you want to do sculpting.