My first created 3D Model

11 Likes

That’s pretty pretty good for a first model! good job!

1 Like

Thank you for this compliment; what could I have done better?

mh it’s pretty solid already but rn everything is still very shiny and too perfectly clean, which makes sense since it seems to be “factory new”. But it could still use some more variety.

I’d maybe try to add a bit of variety to the roughness/smoothness. Additionally add somemore surface bump, not much, but sometimes steel planes have a bit of grid to it. maybe some of the labels are stickers instead of printed on, which then have different roughness/smoothness. Maybe some scratches were added to the different parts while assembling. Parts were metal was welded can have welding seams
The letters that have been printed on could have not been printed perfectly and have some gaps or spots.

All that stuff. Hope it helps

No way this is your first model :smiley:

@PolyPigeon

Thanks for your response.

The idea of using welded seams is great! You understood correctly—the model is meant to represent a brand new rocket. The reason why everything appears a bit too shiny is that the model doesn’t look exactly the same in Blender as it does in the game.

How can I create and bake weld seams?

The adjustment of roughness and metalness is done while viewing the model in the game’s 3D viewer.

In the game, you can only assign three texture maps to the model:

• Albedo (colors)
  • RoughMet (Red channel = Ambient Occlusion, Green channel = Roughness, Blue channel = Metalness)
  • Normal map

The model is game-ready with the following LOD (Level of Detail) specifications:

• LOD 0 (<15m): 19,306 triangles
  • LOD 1 (<30m): 16,698 triangles
  • LOD 2 (<50m): 6,640 triangles
  • LOD 3 (<100m): 774 triangles
  • LOD 4 (<1000m): 410 triangles

I created all the textures using a vector graphics program. The normal map was also hand-drawn, except for the wing and fin edges, which I baked in Blender. Elements like screws, grooves, indentations, the sensor’s underside and center, and the CPU are represented purely through textures, not 3D objects.

I only rendered the ambient occlusion in Blender for the RoughMet map and added it to the texture. The 3D model uses just two materials: glass and body.

@Kodzox
This particular model is the first 3D model I’ve fully created and completed on my own. I am now working on two additional models: the AIM-120C AMRAAM and the AGM-65 Maverick.

Cheers
Holy_Poly

Welded seams is something you’d sculpt. You create a duplicate of your model and join all the objects together. Then you remesh your object so that all the loose parts join together. Then you add some subdivisions until there is a nice thick density of your geometry. That’s your highpoly.
Then you go to the sculpting panel an create the welds. If you’re already at it, you can add very light scratches to your surface

In the end you bake all together.

Thanks for all the info on your model, but I hope you don’t mind me asking, Why are you telling me all of this? What’s your question regarding all this infos?

Is this really used for a agem? if yes, if this is not a hero asset, then 20k Tris for LOD0 is a bit overkill. Can you send a pic of the wireframe? I am curious where all this geometry comes from, tho I suspect it’s the round body.
Can this missile be seen very up close from your player? Is this rocket ever in detailed focus? Is it part of cinematics?

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!