my first outdoor scene

well, I was inspired by the Vidigiani’s previous post, and tried to make some grass in blender also. this is my first outdoor scene…

comments are welcome.

link: http://pasila.lib.hel.fi/~basse/g/blender/show.php?db=wip&kuva=ruohikko1.jpg

.b

Very pretty scene Basse :slight_smile: The only thing that really stood out is that the tree looks like it has too much specular on it. I like the approach you took for the grass, looks very nice and thick :).

hmm, the first thing i noticed was that the tree is too bright, you might have done that intentionally though. also, the proportion is a bit strange.

hi

Waow nice ! The grass seems to have a impressionist effect on it. Very good test.
But butterfly is not well integrated in the scene. I think that there are two plans in the image (front with butterfly, and back with robot, maybe a third plan with the horizon). So if you want to let the butterfly, you must either blur the robot or the butterfly, to make a depth of field effect.

STEMax

nice grass, Very painterly/impessionist. How did you do it?

Very realistic in a way, and very creativy. I can’t describe what I’m thinking right now lol. I really love your grass… tutorial please? (hint hint).

I’d love to hear how you did it by the way… is on her knees begging PLEASE! :slight_smile:

How many polies is that grass again?!?!?!?!!!

I’m with dreammaster, tutorial please or at least very broad hints. I love the way it looks.

Hmm that grass looks oddly enough like the PaintFX grass in Maya 4…

well thanks for all the comments!

about the scene, dont mind about the droid, or butterfly, or overexposed tree :slight_smile: I just needed something sticking out of the grass… to test it out, kind of. :slight_smile: I will work on the scene still, and perhaps we have a nice scene composition and all one day :slight_smile:

(here I tried to write how I did the grass, erased the text, wrote it again, erased again…)

so … I’ll make a quick html page with couple of screenshots for you to see what I did with the grass… just give me couple of minutes and I will be back :slight_smile:

.b

here’s the link to the “tutorial”…

http://pasila.lib.hel.fi/~basse/g/blender/tutorials/grass_tut.php

hope it helps, let me know if there are some mistakes… or something… it’s a quick one.

.b

I have once tried Maya, and I wouldn’t turn my back on it if somebody would offer a copy for me :), but still… it’s looked WAY too complicated and big for me… I like blender with all it’s limitations… as I have said it sometimes before, for me using blender is not like hardcore modelling, it’s more like molding, and drawing… and painting… and that’s important for me.

.b

thank you so much man! that grass is soo beautiful and i think ive started my outdoor scene phase =)… im gonna try your grass method and see how great it comes out, thanks again! its fantastic!

btw, your scene, wonderful, the butterfly is actually my fave part, besides the soft grass =)…
werid line on the tree lets u know its not perfect, i love that! lol =)
great work

thanks for the tutorial, I’m going to try it tonight.

Thats a nice techique, it’s fast to make and looks cool.

good scene. The grass effect looks good in a still, but I am sure that the way you did it would end up being reveled if you were to animate a pass over the grass, or even too the shot from the wrong camera angle.

the reflection in the head of the droid needs help. It is as if it is floating there by itself. Limitation of env-maps…can’t do much about it unfortunatly.

you are correct. but I am more into still shots, and very planned camera positions… when I am doing a scene, I normally put camera where I want it, then build a scene around it :slight_smile: along the way, maybe I adjust the position slightly, but I dont worry about how the scene would look like from a complete different angle :slight_smile:

.b

I normally put camera where I want it, then build a scene around it along the way, maybe I adjust the position slightly, but I dont worry about how the scene would look like from a complete different angle

whoa weird! doesnt that make things harder? i put a camera in last, so i dont got to worry about it =)