My HDD broke. Can i recover the .blend files?

My project “Silent Hill” is on that HDD. I decided to start a new project, ‘Night in the woods’ but I wish I could recover the .blend files so I can finish it up.

Your post has a problem:

My car is broken.
Tell me how to fix it!

See?

Depends on if the drive is actually readable.
Try some file recovery software. If you get anything you’re lucky.

The easiest thing to do would be to just to get the files from your separate backup drive.

are you able to access your hard disk if yes then there are lots of software out there available for recovery. answer me then i will suggest you few software!

I realized my mistake with a sudden grin.

What software do you use?

My prof want me to bring it to school but the guards won’t allow it.

can software really do stuff like that? because when the computer cant read a hard drive, its a hardware problem, right?

If it’s a head crash or if it no longer spins it would be very expensive.

I would just start over and begin using a backup plan. 3 2 1 is a good one. That plan means having 3 copies of important files; 2 of them being stored on site and one being stored off site. An inexpensive way to do that is to have your originals just normally stored on your HDD, on site copies (on a removable, backup, usb or network drive) and copies in cloud storage like DropBox or Google Drive. That way even if something horrible happens like a house fire, you’ll still have your files.

I have no idea what people do to break their hard-drives. I’ve been using computers all over the show (laptops mainly), and never ever had a hard-drive fail. In fact, I’ve never had GPU’s fail, fans fail or anything fail except for modern OS’s requiring more resources (and wanting to go faster). But then maybe I’ve just had good luck, or use my equipment less than others (I turn everything off at night, and when I’m out. That’s probably 70% less use than people who leave computers on all the time).
Since I’ve never had a failure, I can’t tell you about recovering it, but:

I do take precautions against hard-drive failure.

1. The first is a local backup. The local backup contains the OS and all my past projects. It takes the form of an external hard drive. Because it’s only past projects, nothing changes much here. I do this backup whenever a new project is finished (or a major OS update). Some old projects are removed entirely from my laptops hard drive, though some I keep for reference if they are related to my next, or any other current project.

2. Second is a cloud backup. The projects I’m currently working on are actually done through Dropbox. Due to some magic in the Linux system, I can create links to folders, and get dropbox to sync any folder on my hard drive. As a result, my current projects are all available from any computer, regardless of hard drive failure, or even if I just need to change something quickly from another machine. Download, edit, re-upload and it’s updated on my home machine.

If my hard-drive ever fails, I can be up and running again exactly where I was, down to the apps installed, and the latest version of any current projects.

On a side note, I also use some more magic to make sure I have redundancy in case of the OS corrupting when I need my computer. My PC has 3 partitions. two are Operating Systems, most of the time they are clones of each other. In the case of one failing, the other will probably work. If I run an update on one that breaks something, I can just clone the other one back. All use data is shared between the OS’s using a third partition, shared between them with a shared linux /home/ mountpoint.

Cost of my backup system:

• Cost of external Drive (1TB < $100)
  • Some partition stuff is Linux Only (though I have a couple windows VM’s for 7 and 8)
  • All software is free
  • A week or two to set it up, and a couple minutes to make sure you stick to it.

@blonder: wouldnt it be a lot easier to just use something like RAID (“reduntant array of inexpensive disks”, which means you have a bunch of cheap drives that can fail, but they are all synced, so if one goes you can just recover it from the other)

okay dudes!
if you have a spare laptop hanging around, run NAS4FREE on it
(or if you have some cash to build a machine worthy of freenas, run that instead, 8GB RAM recommended)

then connect HDD’s via usb in pairs.
HDD 1/2 are clones, and if one goes you can replace it
HDD 3/4 are the same
etc…

this is called a raid 1 array.

connect the laptop to your internet hub via ethanet and you just made yourself a central server with backups of backups, to store any file you want, that can be shared with any PC connected to your wifi…

im in the process of doing this myself but using a RAID 10 and 6 x 4TB HDD’s for 12TB worth of storage.
then i will set it up to be accessed from anywhere like dropbox, then sell the service at 1/4 of the cost of dropbox :slight_smile:
fun project huh ? :slight_smile:

to the OP, you have now learnt your lesson, for £6 a month dropbox will store 50GB of your data.
i eventually want to sell my service at £3 per 100GB of space, so if your interested, PM me and ill let you know when im done.

BE WARNED: my house can be burned, it is not explosion proof, and my speeds are about 16Mb/s upload. this means retrieving small file will be easy, performing a restore will take hours/days/weeks depending how much data you use.
backups will be as quick as your upload speed as i can download at about 45Mb/s.

EDIT: x Mb/s is not the same as x MB/s. 8Mb (megabits) fit into 1MB (megabyte).
this means a 16MB file wont take 1 second to retrieve with my speeds, it will take 8 seconds at 2MB/s.
(thats about 9mins per 1GB of data)