My Lil Totoro

My cat Kairi turned 11 this year, and we watch a lot of anime together.
I decided that I wanted to capture some special moments of us together for me to look back at later on in the future. This first one was from the Classic Studio Ghibli film “My Neighbor Totoro”.

This project was also a chance for me to use a lot of different skills and techniques I have been working on over the past few years. From projection mapping to environment blocking, photoshop cleaning and asset prep, After Effects compositing, and Lightroom tweaking. I wanted to use all my skills at my disposal to make this piece happen. I worked slowly on this over the course of a few days. If your interested in seeing the process first hand, you can check out the Time-Lapse Video I made for it.

UPDATE 06-2021

I was very honored and shocked to be asked to write a Behind the Scenes about this piece for Blender Nation! I go into depth on the process I used to make this piece as well as let you know a little about what goes through my brain meats when creating a piece like this. I hope you enjoy and maybe even walk away with something new.

19 Likes

I love it! A fitting tribute to your kitty. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Man you can really cook when you know how to use all these software packages together. Really appreciate the process video to help others. Good use of visual effects.

1 Like

Thanks man, this was actually my first piece where I got to utilize them all. Usually I only use one or two of them on a project, but I say this piece as a chance to “step out of the gym” and try out a more self inspired workflow. Also, I LOVE making/watching time-lapse videos so hopefully I will make more down the road.

1 Like

Haha, thank you, she begged for my attention most of the time I spent making it. Lol

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Love this piece.

1 Like

Aahhhhh! That’s so cool, thank you!