I’m finding it very difficult to attach this mesh to this skeleton, here’s what i’ve tried:
ctrl+p parenting with automatic weights (optimistic but failed. I get the error “Bone Heat Weighting: Failed to find solutions for one or more bones”)
I’ve tried turning on subsurf, removing doubles but a lot of the other possible solutions I can only find in different versions of blender so I can’t find the right menus.
I really need to get past this and into animating so i’d like to do everything manually to avoid future issues. I’m new to this part of the process so does anyone know of any good resources on how I can assign each bone to the correct part of the mesh? I can only find bipedal tutorials and they use the automatic weights thing first but I doubt I can in this case.
I hope i’ve explained my predicament properly, it’s nearly 3am here and i’m ill
All that I am thinking is YIKES. I suggest practicing on biped and quadruped rigging before you go into Bi-quadru-ped. Biped is a two legged character and a quadruped is four legged. Bi-quadru-ped is a mix, almost consider this a Tri-ruped?
If you still want to go through with this I suggest thinking of the mesh as two bodies. Head, Neck, Chest, Spine, and Hips is on a basic rig. Think of attaching another chest, spine, and hips to the horse part. Really I have not seen any tutorials that would help with this complex rigging. Really, I would start learning quadruped and biped rigging before I came back to this model.
I know right!? XD
I’ve rigged a few bipeds before but pretty much every tutorial I could find starts with rigify (which just wont work here from when I tried it) and ends with parenting with automatic weights.
I’m determined to get this thing rigged however and you know what, if I cant find any tutorials on how to rig something like this then when I do figure it out I’ll do a tutorial vid.
I think you may just have to do the hard yards and do some manual weight painting, I had the same issue with my Kragnour model, The heat map gave me a good starting point for most of the mesh but the stomach area was staying behind, I added a couple more bones to the problem area then a copy rotation constraint to limit how much
rotation it copied over and finaly some manual weight painting.
If Blender had this (See Link ) then it would be a lot easier
Post a pic of your rig so we can see the location of your bones and the problem areas…