My P-40 WIP :(

Wow! That is a much more detailed picture than I could find… I don’t know how you found it :slight_smile: I spent a lot of time on google :stuck_out_tongue: Almost makes me want to go back and add more detail to the model :P.

Anyway, I would stick with your tiger color theme :stuck_out_tongue: The colors on that plane don’t look so fearsome :stuck_out_tongue:

Coming up for some air. (glulp)

Oh come on : didn’t you know that the founder of the Flying Tigers group (I learned some proper naming, see ?) was Claire Chenneault ? The group had three squads : the Hell’s Angels (expected), the Adam and Eves (your turn to be Eve ! No, your turn!), and… the Panda Bears dammit ! How frightening is that !

Don’t bother too much for the pics : I got 14 Mbytes of them now and I’ll transmit them to you one way or the other, probably leaving them on some good soul’s server temporarily. I’ll put only the pics and textures that I will actually use in the tut and I’ll make them all : so no copyright infringement.
I’m remodelling somewhat for crisper details, like for the control surfaces on the wings that the subsurf makes all roundish, but I’ll have the model textured as it is first for a quick and dirty example. Then I’ll progressively refine it, introducing new techniques as I go and that should be the structure of the tuts : a serie some sort.

I’m having a lot of fun in short.

Bye

Haha yeah I knew about Claire Chenneault. Didn’t know all the squads but I think they were also called the AFV or AVF or something… I swear I did read up on it all :slight_smile: But you had more luck than I, I think…

the Adam and Eves (your turn to be Eve ! No, your turn!)

LOL… that is too funny!

As for space to store images… acasto set up a cool server for all of us blenderheads called iptic.com. You might want to check with him about getting some free web space :).

Yeah the elevators got round a bit more than I like :slight_smile: I find that I can get them to be sharper edges if I add more vertices along the straight line, but sometimes subsurf goes nuts on that too :P.

A series of tuts would rock!

Glad you’re enjoying it :slight_smile: I for one am looking forward to seeing the results and your tuts :).

There’s a very neat trick that I learned from Graphinc. It is quite simple but much simplier if applied while modeling rather than afterward. Now I must remove edges one by one and redo faces, check the normals that ctrl+n can’t do right. If only we could use face subdivision on subsurfed without getting all those parasitic edges that cause pleats in the model…

That last part sounds all too familiar :P… so what is the trick? are you going to add it to the tut? or is it something we can pry from you in a short post?

Umm. It really needs images for a clear explanation although it is very simple. I’ll try to have something ready by tonight. Still have a lot of reading for the uvmapping project and I’ll take advantage of a fresh brain for that first.

nice plane indeed…the propeller would look alot better if u render the 2 wing propeller with motion blur instead of a duplicate semi transparent fan

Don’t loose hope V., I’m still on it.
I’ll combine the subsurf trick with the first part of the tut.

I have plenty of confidence. :slight_smile: Sounds like a good place to put it. I’m busy trying to think of something to model so I can try out your technique (instead of making it all one giant subsurfed mesh :)).

Oh, BTW… Good morning! :slight_smile:

OK, I have some pages worked out, four of them. It is completely uncomplete but it’ll give you an idea. Any comments are welcomed. The first page should already mean something for you.

See all that there : http://pages.infinit.net/bobois/Tuts/uv_mapping/uvmap000.html

Jeanamontreal:

That looks great man!!! Cool trick for fixing the subsurf… I will definately have to try it out :). Everything is looking really great with the tut so far. It was easy for me to follow and I can’t wait to see the rest :slight_smile:

You might want to give one shot of the whole plane before you dive into fixing the wing on page 1. That way they’ll have a better ideal of what they’re looking at.

I like your style of writing… its easy to follow and interesting because you break down various tasks into analysis. Then you slow build your analysis until you reach a conclusion and a strategy to approach the problem… That style works well with tuts I think.

Also the graphics showing where the buttons are and what you are doing is crucial. It especially makes it easier for people new to Blender’s interface :).

On the part where you give colors, it might be useful to actually write out the color settings in your text (i.e. R - 0.217, G - 0.319, B - 0.161). I was able to pick out the numbers, but it might be harder for people with different resolutions.

All in all looks great! Can’t wait to see the next installment :).

You may want to have a look at this blend file. It shows a bit how the edge sharpness can be contrôled in subsurf during the construction of your model.
http://pages.infinit.net/bobois/Tuts/subsurfs/demo_aretes_avivees.blend
You may need to right click on the link and do the “save the link” jig.

You might want to give one shot of the whole plane before you dive into fixing the wing on page 1. That way they’ll have a better ideal of what they’re looking at.

That I’ll do. Like it is people have to guess at what they are working on. True that they’d have the possibility to download the .blend when the tuts will be complete. But a picture won’t hurt.

On the part where you give colors, it might be useful to actually write out the color settings in your text (i.e. R - 0.217, G - 0.319, B - 0.161).

I had something like it, removed it. But it was images and heavy : simple numbers will be all right.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback. It still a long time before all that is comprehensive for all the uvmapping there is in Blender… but it could be somewhat useful soon enough.

Hey Vidigiani,

I’m still on it. I came across some cool alpha effects that I had to study. I’m also preparing a whole set of maps and stuff. With that and a few answers to questions here and there…

But it’s coming along great.

I tried one personnal message to ask you where I should leave the resources folder but you didn’t answer. So, where would it be ?

Hmmm thats wierd… I sent a reply asking if you wanted me to upload it to iptic until you get an acount. Guess its better just to post here :). Let me know and I will upload the thumbs to iptic.

I must have missed it.

What I want to do is send you the result of my internet research since you seemed interested by my results. I don’t want to make them public because possibility of copyrights.
So the question is : do you want them pictures and if so where and/or how should I send them to you.

A bit of misunderstanding here : sorry!

:wink:

Oh!!! I get it know :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry about the trouble. Yes, I would definately be interested in your research. I think you said you could upload or email them. How about you upload what you can, I download it, and then we cycle through like that?

You can email me at [email protected] so that we can coordinate this a little better.

‘wierd’ is spelled ‘weird’

Hey Jean,

I was going through your pictures and I saw a set of pretty detailed blueprints… much better than the set I had to work with. I obtained my set from www.suurland.com… I was wondering if you recall where you found your more detailed set? For example, curtiss-p-40-k-catf.jpg looks a lot nicer than the blueprints I had.

It must be there :
http://www.onnovanbraam.com/blueprints/bp-menu.php?group=ww2planes
Lots of good plans there.

I’ll give the details of the research in the tut, if I ever get there : that story on uvmapping is taking some proportions : now I get why nobody wanted to touch it.
Now I find that I can’t do without starting at the beginning. I… shouldn’t promise anything for a precide deadline but it’s coming along and should proove quite interesting.

Ciao

Yeah it will be good for me to learn too, as I can learn how best to set up my model for texturing later :). That site is incredible, thanks for the link!