My path to being a Blender Intermediate user

2023-07-17T21:00:00Z Update 2/60: Characters 1/5

(more in the comments: My path to being a Blender Intermediate user - #10 by figoyg)

2023-06-15T21:00:00Z Update 1/60: Cars1/5
Bugatti 35B (1927)
(more in the comments: My path to being a Blender Intermediate user - #7 by figoyg)

Original post below:
Hi guys,

I’ve been using Blender for the past two years now. Self-teaching from youtube tutorials and the odd course here and there, participating in several challenges (Pwnisher and Amodeladay notably), this has helped me to be more comfortable with the tools and produce various models and animations. I’ve been doing these in my free time after work, it was challenging and stressful but it was very rewarding in the end, learning something new and then applying it to a project. It was also humbling to see the number of things I didn’t know and how good some people are. This made me realize that I have a long way to go before even being called a Blender Intermediate user since my output is yet to reach that level.

So I’ve come up with a self-challenge titled the 5 rule which consists of modeling/sculpting/rendering 5 things in each of the 12 categories below (that I choose based on what I liked and because I want to be a 3D generalist I guess).

I’m planning to do 60 models in total which will help me practice and (hopefully) upgrade my modeling, sculpting, lighting, and rendering.

I’m going to be starting learning Character Animation workshops on AnimationMentor (which uses Maya) very soon so I hope this will also help me to not forget Blender for the duration of that (which is about 18 months).

I’m posting this here publicly in the hopes that it will help me keep track of my progress and not be discouraged from accomplishing this goal. I might not be called an intermediate user at the end but I’ll have some diverse work for my portfolio.

Anywho, if anyone is interested to tag along on this journey of mine you’re welcome to join!

9 Likes

Nice initiative, can’t wait to see your progress!

2 Likes

Hi - am looking for some expert level blender generalists for modelling and rigging to support on a large scale project! Would you, or anyone in your network be interested in hearing some more?

Thank you. I will post the first project soon :crossed_fingers:

Welcome to BA, @Conor101 – your search for generalists would be better served in either #jobs:paid-work or #jobs:volunteer-work, depending. Hardly anyone will see it here in #artwork:sketchbooks , which is quite off the beaten track for that sort of thing.

@figoyg Looks like a plan! Will keep an eye on this; always happy to see somebody new post in Sketchbooks. It’s IMO a good way to track your progress, and some of us congregate here specifically to support each other.

2 Likes

Thank you. Didn’t know much about Sketchbooks until very recently. Seemed a good place to try this project. Look forward for your feedback :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

2023-06-15T21:00:00Z Update 1/60: Cars1/5

Bugatti 35B (1927)

Photoshop compositing main scene

Workbench render main scene

References

Hi guys I’m back with my first model,

I wanted my first car to be something easy to get started with but I made the wrong choice with this model :smile: . It took me more than a month (on and off) to finish this car.

My initial plan was to (1)model every component of the car, (interior and exterior), (2) pay attention and optimize its topology, (3) have clear UV maps that I can use to texture it, (4) rig the car so it can be used for animations and finally (5) make photorealistic renders.

From those five initial goals, I was only able to accomplish the first and last one, unfortunately.

• For topology, I passed the 600,000 polygons goal (reason why I didn’t post any wireframe images)
    Screenshot 2023-06-16 161319

• I also decided to use procedural and PBR textures from BlenderKit rather than uv mapping it (though iI still needed to do some UV projecting for some parts like the belts holding the tire).

• As the front part of the car had a lot of components, I decided it would be counterproductive to learn how to rig with this car model as it would take much more time than it already did.

Now for the positives, I modeled every aspect of this car! :partying_face: and that was a looot of work! I got more familiar with some more tools, pay attention to details more than usual and I learned new ways to light cars among other things! I also was able to learn how to use Photoshop to create the illusion the car was moving and to color grade the first pic (first time doing that)

For the second car of this project, my plan is to choose a simpler model so I can achieve the rest of my car goals :crossed_fingers:

Thanks for reading!

4 Likes

Famous last words, they sound so familiar! Topology tends to get away from me as well as soon as I do anything reasonably complex.

It looks pretty darn good though!

1 Like

Indeed. I bit more than I can chew then progressively realised it was too much😁 Lessons learned. Thank you!

1 Like

2023-07-17T21:00:00Z Update 2/60: Characters 1/5

Lion

Hello,

I’m back with another model. This time it’s a Lion Character. For this character, I wanted to give a vibrant and happy feel.

The Character was sculpted in around 4 hours and I learned how to manipulate some geometry nodes for the hair and the tail. First time doing that. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to retopologize it and make the scene lighter. I’ll try to do that for the next character

The Lion is from a sketch by Eric Scaless on Pinterest.
738b447f5bf60f2ca4e2b9d402ea9fe9

Hope you like it

4 Likes

very nice :slight_smile:
and i’m liking your ‘5 rule’ plan as a whole, as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the support! :slightly_smiling_face: