My "RadiusBend" and "RollUp" GNs

Coming from 3ds max, I was missing a proper bend modifier in Blender (SimpleDeform doesn’t cut it, really), especially one that let me move my bend axis to create a “sticker” or “rolling carpet” effect. While I didn’t manage to create a single, bullet-proof node tree for both cases, I at least built two separate GN trees that offered a bit of those features.

RadiusBend is called just that, because it is a bit different from a usual bend, in that it keeps a fixed radius for the fold (which is closer to wrapping something around a cylinder). Then again, animating the radius during the bend could help appear more like a standard bend, where the length of the bend stays the same. (Edit: Using one of Higgsas’ great node groups, I’ve added another bend option to the GN-modifier - even setting it to default - which keeps the length of the bent segment constant. Now it really is a “proper” bend modifier.)

RollUp is just a classic rolling carpet effect, where it might also make sense to animate the radius increasing while rolling, otherwise the object just coils up inside.

I hope someone might find these useful!

GN_RadiusBend_RollUp_v3.blend (2.5 MB)

32 Likes

I am sure those out there will find this EXACTLY what they are looking for, as this question ( How do I make this roll-up) crops up at least once a week!

Good Job! and Thanks for sharing this!
Happy Blending!

8 Likes

Looks super useful. Thanks.

1 Like

Ohhhh this is really cool! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Utilizing a bit of node-tree from Higgsas’ bend modifier, I’ve added a toggle to my modifier to perform a “regular” bend, with the bent segment keeping a constant length. Since it’s the usual way bend modifiers work, I’ve even set it to default.

3 Likes

Amazing! Thank you so much!

I’ve cleaned up the modifiers slightly, plus updated the video in the opening post.

Hello and thank you again for that amazing geo-node GN_RadiusBend.
Is there any way to bend/roll from an offset rather from the start or edge?
I want to have flats on either side of the bend/roll like shown in the attached blend file.
The attached file was imported from CAD and I don’t expect to use it but it shows the
flats on either side of the bend/roll that I’m looking for. I’m new to Geometry Nodes but
was able to implement your amazing node group and I played with all the adjustments
(I think) and I can’t seem to get the effect I’m looking for.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you,
Ron Richmond
JawGrip.blend (893.8 KB)

Well I figured it out and now have flat areas on both sides of the bend.
I don’t fully understand how but it’s doing exactly what I was looking for.
Please disregard the last plea for help!
Thank you for your incredible node work!
Ron Richmond

Sorry for the late reply, but good to see you figured it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Major thanks for these! I will never again touch that convoluted default bend modifier.

Thanks so much for sharing this solution. I found it very helpful with what I’ve been working on, with one caveat. For the GN_RollUp, the behavior is similar to what you get by using a spiral curve and curve modifier and sliding the geometry into the spiral. This produces an unrealistic effect because the roll gets tighter as it makes additional revolutions, with the leading end spiraling inwards. This also means that the spiraling layers slide relative to each other, which is not what happens in real life. The effect can be seen here, for example: https://youtu.be/4YY7XBpAeWE?t=225

I really needed the geometry to wrap realistically, so I’ve made some modifications to GN_RollUp which produce that result. There are also a few options for keeping the roll centered or the leading end stationary so that the trailing end wraps around the center. Additionally, you can specify the thickness of the geometry.

At the moment, “Keep End Stationary” does not work if “Roll Direction” is anything other than 0. Maybe someone better at this than I can fix that.

Anyway, hopefully this is helpful to someone.
GN_RollUpV2.blend (4.9 MB)

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your twist on this one. I like the original quite a bit, and appreciate you offering an alt solution. :slight_smile:

This is awesome, love it!