My raytracer!

http://www.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~j9lee/stuff/raytracer.jpg

There’s nothing much remarkable about the image itself, except that it was rendered using my own raytracer. It was a school assignment, and I probably spent about 50~60 hours in total, including programming, modeling and texturing.

Everything was modeled using Blender (exported as .obj), textured in Photoshop, and scene description written in Lua (to place objects, materials, and lights).

The raytracer supports texturing (as you can plainly see), ambient occlusion, phong shading, octrees (for speed optimization), etc. Took 20 minutes to render this image on an AMD 64 3000+ so it’s definitely not fast.

:slight_smile: so when do you start adding nice stuff to Blender :slight_smile:

Hey! This is quite nice scene!

It got some nice feeling in it!

…And yes please! Start adding nice stuff to blender!

:smiley:

Hey, that’s really cool! Neat to see someone render a Blender scene with their very own personal renderer. :slight_smile:

You say your renderer handles textures but I don’t see any, I see materials but no nor maps or anything like that, or am I just blind? Scene is funny though, some times I feel like he looks with the dark eyes and the jolt cola in hand. :slight_smile:

I guess it’s time you found out that textures can control not only an object’s normals, but colour as well! Just look at the cola can - that’s a texture.

NO, I know full well that it can do that. But if that’s all the “texturing” he used, it’s a shame.

Why?

I’d like to see you create your own raytracer.

i really don’t think the purpose of this was to show his amazing texturing skills. i think he posted it up here to show that he has coded his own renderer and it supports textures. maybe you should shut your mouth, unless you are prepared to actually do the same thing he’s done(but better)…

hmm?

Being blown WAYYYY out of proportion here!

I like the image, I’m amazed he has created his own raytracer, I just was commenting on the fact that there was not much texture to be seen. If I were going to show off that I had created texture support I probably would do more then map a coke can, understand. But fine, I’ll stop posting, obviously you all can’t take comments the right way.

GET OVER IT! 0_0 …|./

jayel - that is excellent…both the raytracer and the scene! :smiley:
Id love to create my own raytracer…got any tips? :wink:

superb work…really.

Nice image! (Yeah, floating chickens really creep me out, too! dang that caffeine!)

Thank you all

Khnum: I appreciate your comments, despite the negetivity they seemed to have caused. The reason it lacks bump mapping, alpha mapping, environmental mapping, etc., is because I ran out of time. Incidentally, we use the term “texture mapping” interchangeably with “diffuse mapping” at school, so that’s probably where the confusion came from.

code_astro: Since I wrote only one raytracer so far, I don’t think I have any useful advice. I had some rough starts. I guess you have to plan ahead and think about what features to support first, because the code would be structured differently depending on what information you want to carry in your casted ray.

So… any chanse we could get our hands on the raytracer maybe? %|
I would like to try it out!

I would like to give your RT a try
nic pic btw I like the can of jolt I used to drink jolt.

I’ll get the executable uploaded along with a couple sample scripts as soon as possible. (possibly wednesday - I’m away for a few days)

www.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~j9lee/stuff/raytracer.zip

Here’s my raytracer in case anybody’s still interested.
It runs under Windows. All the required DLLs are included with the archive.

There’s a sample Lua script (simple.lua) that you can pick apart to figure out how to use it.

To render a sample image, type “ray simple.lua”

:slight_smile:

Thats a pretty nice little thing for a first finished raytracer! Congrats!

Any chance you’d be willing to distribute the source code? Or is it still somehow not legal or you don’t want to? I’ve been interested in writing my own raytracer for some time now. I just haven’t sat down to do it yet, and seeing some examples might push me along.

Hop on over to http://www.pbrt.org/downloads.php and get their latest source code. It is a full fledged raytracer for non-commercial use (doesn’t work with Blender though so you’d need to export the scene). You can get their book, Physically Based Rendering, which takes you through the theory, design and implementation of the raytracer… it might be overwhelming to figure out how things work by looking only at source code but the book does a good job of explaining the design and illustrating the design with code.