My Sketchbook for 2023 -MM

The moment you start creating something with a goal in mind, it’s a work in progress. I understand your feelings about it not belonging here (I didn’t think I did either), but believe me, you do. Everyone starts with something that feels simplistic and not worth showing to anyone else, but it’s really not about that at the start, I feel. Of course you and I won’t produce master pieces; we’re new to this! Nobody but prodigies produce art everyone oohs and aahs over right from the start, but one doesn’t have to be born a prodigy to become good at something. When I started (and I’m not so far from that point) I posted not to show off (I never would have dared), but to document my progress so when I looked back on it I would be able to be more objective about it. Because I know I am prone to putting my own effort down, and keeping a journal makes me more honest and less dismissive of it. The first thing I posted here was a blocky sheep that required less skill than your Abrams project.

I use a Sketchbook to take some of the pressure off because if I posted in Artwork, even if a WIP, I’d get all stressed out. I’m into Blender for fun and personal growth, not stress. And nothing in Sketchbooks ever has to be a finished artwork ready for presentation; it’s for ideas and experimenting, and talking with people about one’s experiences. You might like the format, give it a try.

And don’t be so hard on yourself. There might come a time when you need to be, if you become a professional artist and work for a client, but that’s a ways off. In the meantime, don’t stifle your fun and your progress by being too critical; just let things happen. I don’t know about your parents; there could be many reasons why it feels like they’re disappointed – it could be that they worry about you and want you to do your best so your life will be good, but maybe they’re just not very good at showing that they care. After all, nobody really educates parents on how to be a good one, and most just muddle through, usually with bad role models in their own pasts. You’re probably best off assuming they mean well.

A lot of us have that sort of background, parents who didn’t seem to value us, bullied in school, feeling helpless, powerless, useless. It sometimes makes me angry that we as humans invest so much effort into technology, and still children have such miserable lives; where are our damn priorities? Nobody (you neither!) deserves that, ever. Nobody is useless, we all have our good points and can leave a positive mark on the people we befriend and on society. It’s in the choices we make. You enjoy learning! That is great! No, really, I did too, and it saved me. Throw yourself into that, even when everything else seems depressing and hopeless.

So you’ve decided to learn Blender. If you stick with it, work on things a little every day, you will become good at it. That’s a promise, because that’s how it works. You don’t even need a talent to develop a skill, you just need practice and diligence. So hang in there and keep talking with us; we’ll be happy to help with your blendering, and the occasional pep talk. Welcome!

(Oh, and Happy New Year :tada: , both to you and Minami. A new year always give me some extra energy, and I hope all of our 2024 will be at least a little better than the last year.)

7 Likes