My thoughts on Brain Beaming (hint: real life matrix)

It could later be expanded to serve those fields, once our technology is out we can simply give the technology and our research logs away to people interested in using it for other purposes while we can focus on the game industry. Here’s an example of one such thing with a brain implant already helping some of the disabled.

http://www.cyberkineticsinc.com/content/medicalproducts/braingate.jsp

In the first post I listed possible uses, some of them may be good like phobia treatment or educational purposes. Another purpose could be to distract patients and keep them entertained as they won’t get bored from staying in the hospital for weeks.

I know of what you posted about the feasibility problems but don’t people say things like that with every new major technology that comes out?

Also, imagine an extension of the base technology to make things on the computer using your mind. Imagine modeling in Blender that way, hmmm, what should we call it, Brain blending?

On a Modern Marvels episode they were saying that someday the mind canbe used to control programs, they showed a program on the screen though may not be mind controlled and it was the Skater Girl demo from blender.org.

That’s all well and good, but I still think you’re getting far too ahead of yourself in considering full control and full VR with direct brain stimulation. Be realistic in your goals and your bound to have fewer disappointments. You would almost need to understand what consciousness IS to be able to do that accurately. Just think of movement, for instance. The perception of movement doesn’t just involve firing motor neurons. It also involves a whole bunch of proprioceptors, etc.

People are right when they talk about feasibility problems though. I think the number of wrong predictions about what we WOULD have but DON’T currectly outweighs the opposite. In the mid 1900s it was all the rave that we would all have flying cars, for example. It’s not as easy as it sounds, even for a flying car, which is much less complicated than a brain.

Like I said before, I never said anything about it being easy and technology will just get more complicated. But the pace of Brain research will surely make such a thing in reach as in the amount of times a month even of new information coming out of how the brain works.

Sure 10 years ago this may not be a plausible thing to go for but look how far we’ve gotton in learning about the brain in just that time.

I admit i’m not an expert of neurology and I will need at least a sizable team to get such a project off the ground. But we are still free to dream.

Regarding the flying car (I know this is off topic), I have ideas for that too, personal flying machines are already coming out.
why not search for Airscooter for one such flying machine that doesn’t need a pilot’s license.

At least this idea would be more practical then Star-trek like Holodecks serving the same purpose.

Believe me, when I get in college making what i’ve written a reality will be one of our projects according to my current plans. Then once it’s perfected through the 4 years of college my own company will release the new Brain Beaming consol to the public

Im sorry, but Hahahahahahhaha! And in four years, when Im the ruler of the universe, I might even consider giving you a license to distribute these. :stuck_out_tongue:

On a serious note, do you have a track record of inventing ANYTHING? I imagine that there are teams of conceptual thinkers (Read: Genius level conceptual thinkers) the globe over that will be mulling over problems like this, right now, and probably with budgets in the tens of millions. What makes you think that in four years in college, with probably no funding, you’ll be able to achieve diddly squat?

I know of what you posted about the feasibility problems but don’t people say things like that with every new major technology that comes out?

Perhaps, but definatly not on this level. It’s just another one of those things that people aren’t going to take you seriously about until you’ve actually kicked some ass and taken some names. From the sounds of it, you’re not out of high-school and have very little knowledge of how something like this would really work (on a technical level.) That’s not to say that what you want to do isn’t possible. But the chances of you sticking with this plan for the amount of time that it would take (not to mention the funding that you’ll need to pull out of your ass) are slimmer than Lara Flynn Boyle. You get the point…

If this ever did become a reality, I think it’d be bad-ass. Gaming would be amazing! Movies, I imagine, would just stop being made in favor of games…

that would be awesome, I’d like to try it for sure, but maybe not in the first year hehe.

let see, every game have bugs…it’s impossible to make a bug free game. Imagine you fall over an infinite loop in the code…wouldn’t your brain fuck up? :stuck_out_tongue: your whole memory would be swapped to put the game stuff in, then your brain would overheat due to the fact it’d be using 100% of its capacity to process the infinite loop paradox and you’d die in a few minutes!

haha just kidding,but well I doubt you’ll be able to create such a thing in 3-4years of college…but good luck, and may the game industry progress :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t say i’d be doing the whole thing myself, i’d probably get a large team to get this accomplished in as short a time as possible. I also would like to note that if not quite there in 4 years research will continue non-the-less. You also mentioned funding, clearly I would need funding sources, i’ll need to find a way to get colleges and other groups like the military interested in funding and assisting in research. I basically have far more ideas then what i’ve actually done. Except making a few computer games and Blender images I haven’t really been inclined to finish anything. I even started writing some books before and stopped halfway through. In fact there’s books I started reading before and failed to finish though all were fiction. I will sure need to go into more research on this because I do have a tendency to have ideas of what I want to do but sometimes don’t immediately start working on it or have little knowledge on it.

And just laughing about the possibility of me doing it. People laughed at Thomas Edison and he completed the lightbulb anyway even though it took him 1000 tries.

And the problems, you look at technologies like LCD and plasma displays and problems are ironed out as they progress, though in this case i’d probably have to iron out most of them before selling.

Z-axis, those worst case scenarios do seem very plausible. The immediate shutdown of the game could make your nerves go haywire and cause a fit or such unpleasant side effects. I’m not sure its such a good idea to play around with our brains. On the other hand the possibilities and experience caused by such technology would be incredible :smiley:

Interesting read none the less.
Slep

But to bring an experience like that of the Matrix and not being limited to a human form, it’s basically the only way I can think of.

Here’s an excerpt from a site talking about research that would make Holodeck style areas possible

Besides, Benton says, if you want a simulated environment to relax in, there are other, more promising ways to go.

“The horserace for that is with direct wiring into the brain. That may happen first,” he says. “Marvin Minsky, who’s our Artificial Intelligence maven at MIT, is convinced that holography is a waste of time because we’re going to jack directly into the (brain’s) cortex before holography gets that far.”

See how they think a technology like that i’m talking about would be more practical.

I also want to make these consols for use in the home too. Something that would be impractical for Holodecks for one thing because they need an entire room and so an average home won’t be able to have them.

In the not-to-distant future, Benton says entire arrays of more powerful holographic generators could line the walls of holodeck-style rooms. But he’s not predicting any Deep Space 9 holosuites just yet. These machines likely will be too expensive for entertainment

They’re talking about Holodecks being too expensive, likely Brain Beaming consols will be cheaper for home use.

Oh, you should check CeBIT coverage when they open the show in Gemany, here’s what some news articles are saying what will be there.

Meanwhile Germany’s renowned Frauenhofer Institute and the neurology clinic at Berlin’s Charite hospital are to unveil a “mental typewriter” that will allow people incapacitated by injury or disease to communicate.

Using 128 electrodes fastened to the cranium, the invention literally reads minds as the patient uses his thoughts to type out messages

More proof that I may not be crazy :wink:

Though it hasn’t been revealed yet so we’ll just have to wait.

I bet none of you has ever seen Nirvana, strange days, or the most clearly explanation of the dangers of this type of technology: eXistenZ.
And an oldie: total recall.

Think it over, once you start the game, how can you tell it’s over when it’s realistic enough that reality and game have the same “presence”.

Also worthy of note is Macross, where one fighter-jet-mekka controlled by the mind of the pilot starts having problems differntiating between the will of the pilot and his subconscious wishes. (yup stole it from Forbidden Planet).

I fill leafe you to your debatez.

Those Sci-fi movies I think sometimes just wants to give people a different view of certain technologies then what they really would be. Like all those movies that talk of Robots taking over the world.

Think it over, once you start the game, how can you tell it’s over when it’s realistic enough that reality and game have the same “presence”.

Come to think of it this could be a problem indeed, we would need to find a way to allow people to tell the difference between a game and reality. One way to help this would be a small watermark in your field of view but people would hate it, we would have to find a way to remind people in the game it’s only a game.

Any of you read the Pendragon series?

This happens in one of those books, and the entire world collapses. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I found another problem in getting people to use it.

People believing sci-fi books and shows about many technologies. :wink:

Just because it happens in a sci-fi book or show doesn’t mean it will happen.

It also doesn’t mean it won’t. :-?

Sci-fi books I think usually would want to scare the people about technologies like Robots. After all, why Sci-fi series put possible negative stuff in about a “then” fictional technology is that well, what’d you call any book or movie without some sort of conflict?

A chick-flick? But there is really no way to know what happens until someone has actually experienced it.

Time machines, teleporters, space flight. They’ve all been framed for problems in sci-fi shows even though none exist.

There is no way to tell what happens with a technology if it’s not here yet, i’ll get my team will have to find out. But hopefully it’ll work as expected :wink:

Icoxo: The point of the dangerous machines aspect of media is to entertain and create a plot. This is why there are bad connotations conjured up by films and books.

To make the point:
a: “I’ve written a sci-fi flick about a time machine”
b: “hmm, sounds interesting. Someone gets lost in time?”
a: “Nah, it works fine. they travel about a bit and see stuff”
b: “um…okay…”

I’m quite surprised that still noone has mentioned Ghost in the Shell here, now that everyone seems to talk about sci fi…
I guess it shows quite some possibilites of the use of that brain technique.

Oh, and let me say that I believe in you, icoxo. Maybe you won’t make the big breakthrough (I really doubt that but who knows) but even tiny steps are getting us closer to the goal.