Mystic Game Engine

First of all if you are just going to trash this thread than please do not post.

Me and my team have been working on a MMORPG (That is where the trashing come in. I find blender has a great community until someone mentions MMO and then everyone is just negative.) We were wondering what is the best engine to use as we feel that BGE is just nnot developed enough for this. We have been debating this since the start of the game and now ask for your input.

I’ve been following that thread very closely, and while doing that I was thinking. Have you tried blender 2.5 game engine? It has been so largely improved, on 2.49 my frames were really bad, but on 2.5 they… it. … JUST so much faster it really is:eyebrowlift: (and no… i didnt get paid to say this:p)

I agree with you, but because of the big difference everything is so hard to figure out, such as the new python, all the script is completely different to 2.49. And if we were going to use 2.5(i’m trying anyways), we would have to find some really good tutorials on the changes. And I doubt we will because it’s so(sorta) new.

I agree with you too Blinker but also, why learn something else…?all over again at the same time and why not just continue using blender anyway, I know we don’t have a huge amount of information on this topic but would there be a point in giving up and starting on a new game engine which we would have to put a lot more time into learning.

Ill do some research Pirate_man.

We must succeed:spin:.

You know, it’s true blender has very limited gaming capabilities, but it’s excellent for prototyping. You can have a networked version of your game fully functional with blender. But a lot of work will go into this, but you’ll understand how an online game works…
From there you may want to change to a full-fledged game engine and buy yourselves some servers and run your MMO. You were not thinking of hostingan MMORPG from your PC , were you?
If you have money to buy servers you’ll have to pay someone to patch a game engine or buy a cheap one… like Unity…
Otherwise (if you’re not really into a thousands of dollars project) stick with blender.

Torakunsama
No, lol we were not going to use a PC lolol, we were going to get a server from the internet, hoping that in a good many years when we have it ready, some people will happily donate.

However, I think that we are going to use Ogre3D Pirate___Man, that is what Howker and I decided…

Good luck then! It would be better if you could have make it work on blender first, then implement it into a more powerful engine. I’m not quite sure but it seems Ogre3D is a rendering engine, like Irlicht. I might be wrong though!

You are correct, however it has the capability of doing games too.

Blender for me is fine, i have no problems with it, swapping from ogre to blender would be cool.
Diviance said he knows of something good site that would be good …

This is a public forum -> if you don’t want to hear all opinions, don’t make threads here.

Also, don’t treat us like your own personal cheerleading squad: we’re a community of hobbyists who voluntarily share their advice/experience. We’ll tell you what we think, but we don’t owe you anything beyond that.

If we’re being “negative” about something, it’s with good reason.

We were wondering what is the best engine to use as we feel that BGE is just nnot developed enough for this. We have been debating this since the start of the game and now ask for your input.
Why do you feel that way?

It’s not “completely different”: a lot of the changes are just simple renames like cont.getOwner() to cont.owner, and sensor.isPositive() to sensor.positive.

All you have to do is run your old scripts in 2.49, and read the deprecation warnings; you’re told exactly what should be replaced with what.

You can even use the 2to3 converter that was released with Python 3. It’ll convert the majority of your scripts automatically:

http://docs.python.org/library/2to3.html

[quote=Social;1675917]This is a public forum -> if you don’t want to hear all opinions, don’t make threads here.

Also, don’t treat us like your own personal cheerleading squad: we’re a community of hobbyists who voluntarily share their advice/experience. We’ll tell you what we think, but we don’t owe you anything beyond that.

If we’re being “negative” about something, it’s with good reason.
[/qoute]

There is a difference between constructive criticism and “Man!! MMORPG are like so immposible you and your team suck” It was the last one that I didn’t want and have already gotten on other threads.

Well, yes, that is just plain rude (assuming that’s the exact quote).

However, the argument that an “MMO” is an unrealistic pursuit (for a team of amateur developers) is quite valid.

Although, I’m curious, why do you feel that the BGE is “not developed enough” to support an MMO? I mean, a persistent online world is largely a product of back-end network infrastructure.

As far as clients go, the capabilities of the BGE are more than satisfactory (for most of the cases I can think of).

Use udk since it already comes installed with most of the things you wanted to do yourselves, such as networking/online capabilities.

the team would like to see peoples thoughts. lets go deeper than the engines or networks… how will this be affected when you have 3 million tris to load every 10 seconds, or 50 people within a 100 unit radius of your character…lag maybe? what about when we get enough donations to upgrade our engine, will we be able to transfer over???

Some years ago I read about an open source frame work similar to second world. I can’t remember the name. Maybe I will find it later. With that you can build your own MMORG games (and other kind of applications). There was no central server. All connected instances build up the world. It is possible to jump between the different virtual applications through portals. It was more a scientific approach than plain entertainment or money making.

… I got it Croquet

I can’t tell how good that is, but it provides a network framework already.

There might be another option:
OpenSim - also similar to second life.

Maybe it helps

oooo even though the network bologna isnt my part id like to look into that myself. thanks.

Btw, it’s Mythic not Mystic :wink:

There is an open sourced MMORPG

Ryzom
http://dev.ryzom.com/

Mythic not Mystic? our titles on our website are Mystic. not mythic verbs and nouns are different?