Mystical stones

water rendering
here caustics are ported from @martinsh example.

You can notice this fake wave height on the intersection water-terrain.
Actually there is not a mesh for the water, this is just a render pass.

Here a more cartoon like caustics FX using procedurally generated voronoi texture, where distortion, chromatic aberration and decay are also related here to the length the submerged light ray.

3 Likes

Looks great.

Just about level design , areas are too dark until yu make a dark theme platformer.

Hi guys it’s been a while since I updated the post, in the last period I’ve changed some things especially in terms of graphics, more cartoon. I’m organizing the development of the game in 2 phases, I will first build the entire game with upbge 2.3, but without going too crazy behind graphic technicalities. Once the game is finished I will take it to SABGE and here I will take good care of the game on a graphic level …dynamic foliage, gpu particles, more dynamic light sources, etc …
So this is a first level design test (upbge 2.3)

1 Like

I was thinking of another possible game mechanic for transformations, instead of allowing the player to transform whenever he wants once he has conquered so many stones, he could transform automatically every time he collects a stone (maybe the transformation could be timed…)
The transformation allows special abilities, and changes the player’s parameters, such as movement speed and jump height… (for example, the rock stone makes us heavier and we will be slower, but we are more resistant to fire or other attacks)
I’d be curious to hear some opinion, what would you do?

dashAttack - bellyBounce - fireBall

fireBall to the mushroom enemy

sideJump - dashAttack to reach the platform

fire impostors

It’s been a while since I posted any updates, even though the little free time, I’m still slowly proceeding with the development of the game through upbge 0.2.5b.
I’m currently working on the combat mechanics, specifically the sword animations of the forest boss. Once defeated we could take possession of his sword and therefore unlock many of his useful skills to continue in the game…

2 Likes

I notice a few particle like effects, could be useful for a weapon. The yellow and red spawned image or what ever it is. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The particles are just planes facing the camera (face orientation: halo)
No textures for them, just a custom shader, but you could also do this FX sampling from a texture, perhaps for something so simple it is more convenient to obtain them directly in shader without texture sampling i thought…

In blender and upbge? I use 2.78, a few older files I have could do with that type of effect. The closest I ever got to something like this was a spark effect, but that was useless :roll_eyes:, so once a bullet hit the wall, a particle effect.

Would be interested in an example file. :thinking:

Light improvements and added point lamps shadows (for player only but works for all fire torches in the scene)

1 Like

Added snow FX
I had already done something similar in the past using compute shaders, but this required openGL 4.3 or higher.
Here I used a different approach, and there is no collision, so I don’t have to raise the openGL version from the one in use on upbge 0.2.5