N00bs 2.0

For current progress, go to the N00bs 2.0 Current Progress Thread.

Just like two wrongs don’t make a right, a bunch of n00bs can not make a game.

You might say, but MGP did right? There is a big difference of what you are trying to do and what they did. It was more like an experienced user taking a bunch of newbs under their wing.:slight_smile: They had newbies working with them, but the whole project wasn’t just noobs.

Just my opinion for you. You should try learning blender more before starting an actual project.

Noob, schmoob. I vote anyone who wants to models whatever they want, give it to you, and we could work together on a story, or whatever. Plus, who cares if it doesn’t work. More expereince, lotsa dumb models, and some fun :smiley:

I’m sorry, i am not in a position to join now (working on Project Aminum) but this sounds like fun. Whoever came up with that Noob unite thing gets a big ol’ high five from me:D

I might help…

Count me in dude! I was late for MGP also, so if you have any idea, I can help. Gimme something to do and then I’ll do it!

Only requirement is that you DO NOT QUIT!

Yah, I guess count me in as a character modeler/texturer.

I disagree with you, b0mberman. Putting noobs into some sort of a project after they have just got a few basics down is a good way to go. People learn not just by reading tutorials or watching others, but by taking that information and going further with it to do something of their own. People especially learn by teaching others. So if one noob figures out how to unwrap UV face layouts properly with marked seams they can share it with others. In the teaching, the other noobs learn, but the teacher also learns as well. Knowledge is Power!

Well Said J09!

That sounds cool, I can contribute a little bit. I think it would help me develop AI for my flight sim. I’ve got a few ideas.

How about we do something that utilizes the bullet physics engine a little more. Why don’t we make a game where you have to crash an object like a ball or car or something into an object and start a chain reaction that blows up the whole scene.:eyebrowlift:

I’ve got some more ideas. Although, I don’t know If I could do this full time, but I’ll do what I can.

All right! I was going to post this earlier, but it kept telling me “you have to sign in” when I already was. In fact, that’s why I am doing two post here, to make sure it works. Heres what I was planning: :smiley:

awesome. I think before it starts, you should wait for more replies.

Going slightly off topic, I was thinking of trying to organize a whole blender community project. Everyone could try to contribute, nobody would be left out, professionals as well as noobs could try. Lol. My context has changed because I’ve been watching the US Presidential Debates for the past hour or so.

Good! It worked. (btw, anyone else have that problem?) 'kay heres my plan, free to discuss till tomorrow night (tonight, on GMT time). Remember, this needs to go fast, so no one loses interest, and so that we have something to show. But I am not unaware that MGP planned to be a week and is taking a year. Feel needed to comment on the plan, but it needs to be solid tonight.

Step #1Concept Creation – This period will be given three days. By the end of this three day period, these questions need to be answered:

- What is the goal?
 - How is the goal reached by the player?
 - What is the story behind the goal?
 - Who is the main character?
 - Who are the secondary characters in the story?

Step #2Creative Design Documentation – In this period the game design document will be created. This period will be given another seven days. In the game design document, these things need to be accomplished:
- All characters need to be listed and at least sketched w/pencil and put on computer.
- All maps of stages, probably need to be made simple models, so everything can be documented in it’s 3D location.
- All objects need at least to be listed.
- The script needs to be completed (by “script” I mean words, if there are any).
- Team leaders need to be chosen.
- Leaders need to list all asignments.
- We need to chose wether to give runtimes or .blend files of the game.
- A website would be nice.
- Team leaders would probably want to make a list of tutorials for their team.

Step #3Creation of Content – Here’s where we make this thing! We’ll probably want to do this in sixty days. All right, I know MGP, a year, right? Well by this time we ought to have a goal to at least finish, a demo.

Again I say, all right! We really need to make a list of members with dedicated time per day/week expected from them. I can devote at least two hours a day to this, at most, four. On Saturday, five. Maybe more. This plan of action is still up for change for about twenty hours, and then It begins!

Good! It worked. (btw, anyone else have that problem?) 'kay heres my plan, free to discuss till tomorrow night (tonight, on GMT time). Remember, this needs to go fast, so no one loses interest, and so that we have something to show. But I am not unaware that MGP planned to be a week and is taking a year. Feel needed to comment on the plan, but it needs to be solid tonight.

Step #1Concept Creation – This period will be given three days. By the end of this three day period, these questions need to be answered:

• What is the goal?
  • How is the goal reached by the player?
  • What is the story behind the goal?
  • Who is the main character?
  • Who are the secondary characters in the story?

Step #2Creative Design Documentation – In this period the game design document will be created. This period will be given another seven days. In the game design document, these things need to be accomplished:

• All characters need to be listed and at least sketched w/pencil and put on computer.
  • All maps of stages, probably need to be made simple models, so everything can be documented in it’s 3D location.
  • All objects need at least to be listed.
  • The script needs to be completed (by “script” I mean words, if there are any).
  • Team leaders need to be chosen.
  • Leaders need to list all asignments.
  • We need to chose wether to give runtimes or .blend files of the game.
  • A website would be nice.
  • Team leaders would probably want to make a list of tutorials for their team.

Step #3Creation of Content – Here’s where we make this thing! We’ll probably want to do this in sixty days. All right, I know MGP, a year, right? Well by this time we ought to have a goal to at least finish, a demo.

Again I say, all right! We really need to make a list of members with dedicated time per day/week expected from them. I can devote at least two hours a day to this, at most, four. On Saturday, five. Maybe more. This plan of action is still up for change for about twenty hours, and then It begins!

If you guys wanna get it done, I suggest:

Keeping the entire game small.

Keep development time of your first project under 1 month.

Get 2 leaders, one for code, and the other for artwork.

If this starts looking like you guys are serious, I will stop by and donate some content :slight_smile:

The reason I am saying to keep the first project small, is so you guys can weed out the un-serious people, and come up with some quick gratification.Trust me, you will learn a lot from the first prototype of a game…
Your second project I bet is marketable.

@The Red Hand – You’re right, that would be great. Everyone could be organized by their ability :eyebrowlift: . Please don’t start that while you’re with N00bs 2.0, though.
But speaking of everybody, I’m asking anyone who consider’s themself intermediary to apply as a team leader. That way, your underlings could come to you directly for advice. As for Semi-Experts, could some of you act as, I dunno, official consultants, or supervisors? It would be a great project for every kind to work together, but with this being directly aimed at noobs, the artwork and programming wouldn’t quite mesh well (no pun intended, sorta). :stuck_out_tongue:

Another thing we need to do, besides choosing team leaders, is make a list of teams for them to lead!
- programming
- modeling
- textures
- etc…

hey ive just been itching to get into a real project, count me in.

Well given the current circumstances and especially considering your demands, I will not be able to help with your game. I also have a game project that I am dedicated to, but that does not mean that I cannot help the blender community. I will help you as long as this is not a number one priority. I am 13 and have school on a daily basis with homework in mind.

Please note this as many of the blender artists are from ages 12-17 (Thats not all of you). I will give my time as long as it does not fall apart.

@Turin Turambar,
The Red Hand,
yournamehere,
blackhawk0900,
Thank-you for joining! Well, we can’t do anything till we know what it is that we want to do, so start (as I noobishly said in the first post) throwing out ideas! This is step #1 of the process.
@The Red Hand, I will do everything in my ability to keep this together, if you could promise any amount of time it would be appreciated. Please, do that homework, not enough people our age have that on their minds, I’m sure!

@Turin Turambar, thanks again! I know for pretty sure your not a noob, so it was very kind of you to join our merry band.

@yournamehere, great idea, I will keep a log of all the ideas people post! It could be like you set up a bunch of objects that you unlock, and then shoot a marble at something or have some very simple objects you can use to start it. RUBE GOLBERG STRIKES BACK!!! Ha!

@blackhawk0900, what’s your experience, I’m wondering? Great to have you!

@Mmph, thanks for the advice! It’s always great to have someone who cares enough to say something kind.

I bet your second product is marketable
That will be great. Thanks again for the constructiveness of your post. :smiley: