Name a fair price for a +1000 PBR material asset library ready to use in Blender 3.0

Ah it makes sense now. Like node Wrangler on steroids. I personally think it makes more sense to advertise the script than the library itself. Does the script also mark the materials as assets?

Your understanding is correct, yes. And yes it also marks the material’s as assets, cleans up anything that is not supposed to be saved in the fragment of file etc… (an asset file can really get very big in size, that’s why we need to create asset files chunk by chunk. The script also provides a quick way to determine a reasonable size).

EDIT: Dear all, I have shared the link to the bundle above, but it is pretty premature at this point, I realize. I think I need to work on it just a bit more and then publish it with proper images & videos.

So for now, FYI, the gumroad link will be unaccessible.

Honestly, that makes it worse. Monetizing the distribution of freely available assets has always struck me as incredibly sketchy. While not against the against the license of the original assets, it’s certainly not in the spirit of it.

I have code that sounds like it does exactly what you’ve done. Knowing how trivial it was to produce, I think I’ll just do a little cleanup and release it for free.

2 Likes

I see your point but I would not see it as sketchy. Why people can’t get used to commercial packaging of cc0 content? We don’t criticize appropriation of natural resources and its horrendous effects on the planet but when we commercialize appropriated digital public commons, everybody looses their minds.

By the way, the only reason why I segreate the .blend files is to avoid large file size. Otherwise in my gumroad purchase I was thinking of giving all the contents. Sorry for confusion, it got mixed up in my technical explanation.

I have Extreme PBR addon. As you’ve seen, it’s really advanced.
What you have is an addon like that, but in the starting phase.
Moreover, you have the 800 free materials addon.
The difference between them is the level of care, the material quality, the supporting utilities, the user friendly-ness.
The former is very cared for and paid, the latter is in the wild but free.
Apparently you have no edge, unless you sit somewhere in between…
Anyway, those libraries usually ships 2K images at most. If someone would ship high level 4k - 8k textures, that would be different.

Interesting perspective kabu. Thanks. Most of the texture I ship in the package is indeed 4K and 8K, but also a fair bit amount of in 2K. I think I should specify those details much better, because apparently it is very important. I have to better understand what people value the most.
Anyhow I will do my best to push my package to the market and see if it works. I mean this is a compromise, not a robbery :slight_smile: . I want to earn some money and I want to sell something that is worth the price. It is most honest thing that you guys criticize it, which I take nicely, really.
We are on the same page.

Kind people are not a natural resource to be mined and scalping is generally frowned upon.

2 Likes

I think the best the plan of action for you would be naming the product something like “PBR images to Asset creator + 1000 preloaded assets”. It would avoid the scrutiny of it seeming like basically reselling cc0 assets.

1 Like

I agree Xeofrios, good point thanks. The product is stil quite unmature, I admit that. I need to think more on its strength and weaknesses and I should avoid giving false expectations or bloated claims. I really just wanted to have this discussion to get grounded and I really did got grounded. So I thank you all for your honest opinions.

But just for the record, I would like to point out the thinking mistake in above comments. So I came up with this script and I am providing these images as meaningful assets, easily usable in a software. So I added more value to the textures. I naturally think of selling this extra value for a fair price.

Now somebody comes up to say, hey I got the same script, I am just gonna post it for free. That’s absolutely relatable, and you should do it if you want to, I mean, why not? All I am saying is that your attitude is not automatically making me a bad person. People seem to take it as, that me deciding to sell that extra value is making me a bad person because I might as well just give it for free…

I don’t know. But again, I really see the raised criticisms. I will take them seriosly and ponder on them and see how can I improve myself. :kissing_heart: :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I see you are in for some more marketing trips. For instance:

• collecting all those images, packing them, organizing them, takes a lot of time; that’s what we pay for
  • cc0 sites are there for this, provided you recognize their effort. After all, they’re cc0.
  • alternatively you could enter into relationship with one of them, making it a partner.
  • people are always complaining for everything
  • consider downloading 4-8 k textures is going to be awful. At 2k, Extreme PBR addon zip files are very big. Bandwidth does cost.

What is your product’s difference over others? There are already a bunch of paid add-ons with similar features. Does the add-on provide easy access and operations to apply these materials?

You can always offer a free small set with the add-on, then charge for the additional packs.

Hey guys,

As you were interested in this discusion, I just wanted to inform you that the MVP is finally out and it is working quite well!

As for a price, I finally decided on $19 for +3000, 4K PBR materials + the “one-click PBR” add-on that’s used to create that library…

For more info, check out the main discussion: One-Click PBR Thread | +3000 PBR materials release | Only for $19 - #2 by Bloyd

Check out the promo video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NeYrIbwySY

If you are interested, you can purchase the library on gumroad: https://shardsofred.gumroad.com/l/CfOnY

Soon, I will release more videos & articles to compare my library with Extreme PBR’s and more videos to show the library in action. A big thanks to those who already purchased!

Thank you for your immense help by discussing me this project early on!

1 Like