Name a fair price for a +1000 PBR material asset library ready to use in Blender 3.0

Hi there,

I will soon release a PBR material asset library on Gumroad. It features over 1000 high quality PBR materials. It can be readily used in the asset browser of Blender 3.0 and with full support of material previews.

It weights nearly 50 GB in size. I utilized a python script that I wrote in order to prepare and fine tune PBR textures into a useful asset library. In the bundle, I am also planning to release the script. So later on, users can use the script to expand their libraries.

I am struggling to come up with a fair price for this bundle. As a consumer, what would you think a fair price would be for a PBR material asset library of this size (over 1000 high quality materials)?

Your opinions much appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

When you say over 1000 high-quality materials and mention that a script automated the process of converting textures into materials it sounds like those materials were not authored by a human and checked in real scenes.
If that is the case, I would assume the price would be the price of those 1000 textures plus the fee for conversion and add to that some tax and market fee.

1 Like

Very good insight Josip, thanks a lot. But I realize that I confused you a bit. Let me expain further.

The PBR textures, I fetched them from the public domain. They are all CC0 textures, so I haven’t paid for them. Therefore we could deduct the price of the textures.

I have put my labour and expertise (!) in coding to basically (1) utilize the textures into usable materials and (2) prepare them as assets in Blender in a feasible way (feasible=managing file and preview structure of material library as big as 50GB).

In the light of this further information, what would you think? I believe this material library could benefit so many people. I am alone grooling currently over this treasure my script has created. I really would like to share it with people under a fair price. That’s why I decided to ask the very community that I belong :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You can base your price on something similar, like the extreme PBR material library.

It has more then 1k materials, costs $50 and was sold more then 6k times on blender market.

From a consumer perspective, what would make me buy yours over theirs ?

• Much higher quality ?
  • Any unique materials that differentiate the two libraries ?
  • lower price ?
  • Higher customer support ?
  • Something else ?
2 Likes

Those are likely the exact same textures being used by the poster…

1 Like

This answer is very informative, thanks a lot.

I did not know about this add-on. It seems like it is removed? I wonder why, it seems pretty good. Unfortunately I could not get details of the add-on, so I am not able to make a solid comparison.

It seems that extreme PBR library is also utilizing the cc0 textures. In that sense my library offer only a more “up-to-date” version of the extreme PBR library.

Plus my library works readily with Blender’s new Asset library. Inside the each library file, I am also planning to provide the code to generate it. So anybody with a bit of python knowledge can edit the texture paths and expand their own library!

Overall, for extreme PBR, I honestly think 50$ is a reasonable price. But considering the competitiveness of the free market, and the already saturated customer interest, I would make a base price of 39$ for my library.

But I still can’t stop but wonder why extreme PBR seems to be removed from the market… I don’t think it is a licence issue… Does anybody have an information on that?

A little detail: The code that I wrote solves some small but rather crucial problems. There are a few cc0 texture providers who used the same name for some textures. I even discovered textures with the same name within the same provider. The code cleverly solves such name disputes and merges all these cc0 libraries into a ready to use Blender asset library. That’s where the real value comes IMO.

1 Like

Ok, basically the work is

• downloading free assets
  • creating some scripts
  • processing the assets
  • promote and sell

Does this realy worth let’s say 5k x 40$ = 200k $ ~ 4+ years of average us income ?
C’mon it’s at most 2 month of work …
Unless there is a significant contribution to cc0 textures providers i would highly doubt so.

2 Likes

huh weird, when I click the link, blendermarkets gives a 404 error. I directly went to their site and search for the add-on, now I am able to see it!

In general most of the value created comes from appropriation of the resources, so I don’t think the point is whether it is worth it or not, but whether it would be beneficial for the consumer or not, which is something the consumer decides. :man_shrugging:

I have looked through the extreme PBR library add-on now. It is a fantastic tool, and what I am providing is definetely not near what they accomplish there.

The solution I want to bring is more like a home-grown vegetable version of the extreme PBR library, or in other words, PBR library without the “extreme” spice.

This vision allows me to come up with a realistic price as well. Many thanks for this discussion folks.

You are asking for a “fair” price.
let’s now be more serious.
2 month ~ 8k
target market > 2000
8k / 2k = 4$
That’s a “fair” price.

1 Like

Stephen I love your cold professionalism :innocent:
And I see your point clearly. Your suggestion is not not fair.

On the other side of the spectrum, you have this 800+ free material library (for 2.7x)

1 Like

I don’t get the point of these “material library” addons. Aren’t there about a dozen websites providing free (cc0) textures?

1 Like

This is a fair point to raise.

I would like to share my experience on this, which is why I created this bundle.

When I am ready to assign a material to my model, I need to see this shiny looking beautiful sphere previews… I just can’t loop through page after page, folder after folder, looking for the best texture. I need to see the result already, and decide like that.

That’s why when I discovered the potential of the new asset library, I decided to come up with this bundle.

Well, the words is out guys. I haven’t added any previews yet, but the gumroad page is available at: https://shardsofred.gumroad.com/l/SGyoVY

1 Like

Why does this need to be an addon? Can’t it just be a .blend with 1000 textures? (I know it can’t, but just putting the point across)

That’s exactly what I did! This is not an add-on. I am rather selling carefully segrated pieces of .blend files with materials as assets in them. All you have to do is place them in your asset directory. This is fully compatible with Blender 3.0 and above.

What does this mean?

I am also providing the Python script to automatically generate hundreds of PBR materials and prepare them as ready-to-use material assets.

Let’s imagine a parent folder, in which you have 100 PBR textures. Each one of these textures resides in their own folder as well. One day you realize that you are tired of browsing in-folder, out-folder just to find the texture you are looking for…

That’s when you use that script that I provide inside each .blend file (you don’t really need that specific .blend files to use that script. Just grab any blender 3.0 , put that script in and run it. It should work)

You take that parent folder’s path and give it to the script (where exactly I cannot describe here. If you know a little bit of python, you can discover youself easily. Otherwise I plan to make a simple tutorial on that)

The script in returns traverses all these subfolders where the textures are. And it creates nice PBR materials with the Principled BSDF node. That’s it, that’s what it does!