nameSTACK [1.02.20]

Updated the OP, this add-on only works in 2.66+ at-least it should only work in 2.66+, the type menus in this add-on use a format that is only available in blender versions higher then that number, if there is a big enough demand for a version that works for blender versions lower then 2.66 I will create one, so let me know.

Fixed a bug related to the batch naming operator and the enumProperty format, batch naming should be working again

Fixed a bug where the item panel would display when there was not an active object.

I am finding this stuff on my own, would have been nice if someone mentioned they had issues, as the download contained a broken add-on for some time.

…I am finding this stuff on my own, would have been nice if someone mentioned they had issues, as the download contained a broken add-on for some time.

Sorry, been watching and downloading but not testing. It will come in handy when needed that’s for sure. I’ll try to make time to try it out properly soon. No promises though.

There’s so much dev going on in Blender it’s impossible to test everything as soon as it gets updated. There’s probably many watching this thread but too strapped for time to test your addon as it gets developed. Don’t let this discourage you. It’s a great addon. It will probably be very popular.

-Larry

May have been a bit forward, just trying to encourage feedback.

No not at all. Just wanted to encourage you in the face of little feedback and give the thread a bump too. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to my next rigging project. This addon will come in real handy for me then.

Have a great weekend.

-LP

Yes rigging is one way in which this add-on will shine :slight_smile:

Sorry I haven’t been around the last month, proxe. Been busy with the new semester and everything’s super hectic (can’t even work on personal projects). Glad to see you’re still working on it, and I’ve updated the git repo with the latest version as of this post.

Glad to see you back, which git repo are you referring to?

The addons_extern repo. I have been maintaining meta’s git version of the blenderpython project on sourceforge, and I included this script in the git version. You can see it here.

Oh, well that’s awesome!

Bug Fix - You can now properly name bones in pose and armature edit mode

Slightly odd bug, I could name bones perfectly fine, and then I couldn’t, closer look at the script shows that I should have not been able to name bones, which makes me wonder how I was able to…

Very handy ! Thank you for taking the time to code this ! It is close in function to Maya’s attribute spreadsheet (although the latter permits you to batch-modify really any property, not just names). I feel that your addon could fit well into the outliner’s UI. What do you think ?

Hadrien

Hey that sounds interesting. I wonder if the Outliner’s drag n drop can be subverted to add assets to the batch list?

You mean drag and drop objects from the outliner to the item Panel itself? That is a very interesting idea, I like it a great deal, it will have to wait, I still need to include batch naming for particles and materials/textures when I get the chance, first I would like to improve the menus for selecting specific object/constraint/modifier types, perhaps adding search functionality to them and making them appear as close to the original menus that are used to add them, to be honest I think that the modifiers/constraints menu should have search functionality.

How would you suggest putting it in the outliner? I admit that this feels like a more appropriate place for the batch naming operator, perhaps included in the header?

@Hadriscus - I have noticed a menu option as of 2.66 that allows you to copy to selected when you right click a property or value you would like for all your selected objects to share, would be a bit redundant for me to create that sort of functionality when it is already available, that was my original plan until I saw that it was implemented.

Edit - Batch name button now included in the outliner header, batch name is a global operator, able to be called from anywhere!

Yes, I was thinking of the outliner’s header. That being said it’s already a little cluttered, and I don’t see any other relevant corner for it to be placed in. Maybe the properties panel is indeed the better place.

I didn’t know about this command - thanks a lot !

I am still working on this add-on, bumping the thread to help those that need this functionality.

It is a good tool, especially working with so many objects and modifiers

Thanks craig, I appreciate all the feedbacks :slight_smile:

Update - version 0.8.0 - This update brings back some of the old functionality of the item panel, if you wish there is a option to enable the a hierarchy view in the item panel that displays all your current objects/object data/bones and their respective constraints and modifiers, within the panel, this can be toggled on in the same way that the other view options can be toggled on, there where also some minor bug fixes performed, modifiers & constraints are now displayed in the item panel by default.

Edit - Only the active object and object data are visible by default.

This is a really cool feature reminds me of scripts that blur studios released for max some years ago.

Keep it up!