Need Critique on Lighting and Composition

Ive been wanting to do a figure head of a ship and thought it would me nice to do an underwater scene. I aimed for a somewhat dark and creepy atmosphere but i dont know if i was able to catch that feel, also another thing i want to ask is that if the overall image is too dark or not

if you can give me feedback on these, i would appreciate it.

I’m not a lighting expert and so I won’t comment on that, but…

Your composition works very well. You’ve got the triangles doing their jobs, bouncing the eye around the image without letting it float off the canvas. One thing I will say about the lighting, which is more about the contrast than the lighting technique, is that this also works well, drawing the eye into the focal point, but then letting it drift off across the diminishing contrast of lighted object before bouncing around the triangle and back to the focal point.

Nice work on those items. Now if someone will jump in and critique the lighting…

Nice topic and good picture :slight_smile:

Concerning the lighting… I’d say my comment would be more on the storytelling.
I’m not sure I understand well what this figure head holds in her hand, that actually light herself (or maybe I missed something obvious? ><). And why it actually produce light (some kind of magic?).

Just some random ideas: maybe this light - which light her - could come from an exploring diver on the right side, from a shining sea monster, from her lover head figure, who came to meet her (in this case okay they could both hold light, as we understand there is something surreal going on there), etc?..

Then the light would clearly be pointing to her, instead of being oriented partly to the right of the image, where there is actually nothing.

You could also try to lower the lighting from the top left, as this light is competing to much with the main figure light in my point of view.

Your composition works very well. You’ve got the triangles doing their jobs, bouncing the eye around the image without letting it float off the canvas. One thing I will say about the lighting, which is more about the contrast than the lighting technique, is that this also works well, drawing the eye into the focal point, but then letting it drift off across the diminishing contrast of lighted object before bouncing around the triangle and back to the focal point.

Thanks, i usually have a hard time to get the composition right, im glad to hear that it worked this time.

Concerning the lighting… I’d say my comment would be more on the storytelling.
I’m not sure I understand well what this figure head holds in her hand, that actually light herself (or maybe I missed something obvious? ><). And why it actually produce light (some kind of magic?).

Shes holding 3 heads (i got the idea from God of War - Head of Helios), so you can say that its some kind of magic. Actually the whole point of doing this was that part and it got lost along the way, i was concerned about that the most. I tried to getting it closer to the camera but then i couldnt get the atmosphere i was looking for, so in the end i chose to sacrifice that detail in order to get a nice image.

(I know i kind of forgot the ears haha, but it didnt matter in the end)

Just some random ideas: maybe this light - which light her - could come from an exploring diver on the right side, from a shining sea monster, from her lover head figure, who came to meet her (in this case okay they could both hold light, as we understand there is something surreal going on there), etc?..

This actually sounds better, i was so focused on the other things i overlooked many things.