Need help setting up textures

I’m trying to setup some textures but I’ve never seen these types of colors before so I’m not sure what material they belong to. I uploaded the file for the current setup.

What you have here are channel-packed textures. Each channel of the image (red, green and blue) is a separate, black and white texture. If you pass the texture through a “separate color” node, you can access each of the 3 textures. This seem to work better when the texture is set to non-color.

The textures with NRM and ALB in their names are clearly normal and albedo, those aren’t channel packed.

The textures with MRAO in their names likely contain metallic, roughness, ambient occlusion.

The face texture with AORS contains ambient occlusion, though I’m not sure for the 2 others. Maybe roughness and specular? Though they don’t look good when plugged into those channels, so I’m not sure what they are meant to do (or maybe they just aren’t adjusted for Blender’s materials).

The other face texture with TFM isn’t present in the file you uploaded. looking at the screenshot, the red channel is probably translucency (sss) and the blue might be metallic. I can’t tell what the green is.

I cannot tell what the “FES” textures contains.

The hair seems to use the green channel to give color variation to different strands. I’m not sure what the red and blue would be used for.

If you could get some info about what each texture is, it would be better than guessing. Did the source of the model not contain info about this?

No it didn’t how do you know which color goes to which input.

By observing what each channel looks like, some can be guessed. Ambient occlusion textures tend to be rather obvious if you know what they look like.

Also, I noticed the names of the textures seem to contain the first letters of the texture’s names, in order of channels. AO is very obviously for ambient occlusion. I guessed M and R are metallic and roughness, because those are some of the most common texture types and the matching channels look plausible to fit those roles.

Thanks for the help btw.

1 Like