Need help with geometry nodes

I have a branch with leaves set up in geometry nodes. The leaves are distributed on to the branch by points. With set position I can switch the leaves between two different shapes. Like shapekeys, but in Geometry Nodes. By changing the location of a controller object it switches between the two shapes. Which is what I want, but it changes all the leaves at the same time. I want the location of the controller object only affect the leaves around the object.

I would appreciate it a lot if someone can help me figure this out.

Hi sander020501,
you probably forgot to create a Realize Instances node after a Instance On Points node (i assume). You need to post more of your node tree, to give a clear answer…
You may also want to change the transformation of the Object Info node to Relative.

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

Realize instancing after instance on points doesnt work, the leaves all end up at the same location. Setting object info to relative doesnt change much either.

Here an overview of the entire node tree.

You can capture the instances positions before relizing and then offseting. I showed something similar in this video: (you can skip to the “animation” part since you already have the shapekeys as attributes)

2 Likes

Hi, I followed it along. But it does move the leaves back on their position, but still the same issue. All leaves transforming together, and not around the object. Do you know if there is anything to fix it? Thanks for your time already.

You probably didn’t realize the instances…
Use your “Cube.001” object geometry as the instance and do the shape key stuff after the realize instance node.

1 Like

when I do that I end up with a single leave at 0,0,0.

Same thing without the capture attribute node.

can u pls provide a blend file so we don’t have to rebuild everything manually? thx.

Here you go,

it is not the perfect solution, but hopefully it shows you the way to make it.

So if you change your node tree to this:

you will get this:

change via location

you changed the shapekey on the instances, so of course every instance is changing. You have to do the changing after realize instances to make the change per instance. I muted your animation (GN tree) of your instance to make this happen.

2 Likes

Thanks! I will try it out when I have time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot! Perfect! :slight_smile:

1 Like