Need help with Mask in Cycle

Hello,

I’m trying to make material to this model

in Cycles to be like this

but got this

When I increase Max Bounces - Transparency to 50 it seems solve the problem but my PC become unresponsive
Material is pretty simple

I think there is a better solution, but I can’t figure it out…

Probably I find a bug with alpha textures?

in eevee

234.blend (747.3 KB)

By default, Cycles bounces for Transparent rays is set to 8. After hitting more than this number of surfaces, the engine simply stops.

To fix this, you should set your transparent bounces to a higher number.
(RenderSettings::LightPaths::MaxBounces::Transparency)

Modo with default 1 bounce for all lights

with sun light turned on

Blender default have 8! bounces for transparency and 4 to diffuse/glossy, more than enough…

Increasing transparency bounces make scene with only one object render a huge time…and if there were 100 of them?! (no need to answer)
And I need to pick a certain value for transparency bounces depend of how many faces with alpha I have in this broomy mesh.
Also increasing transparency bounces make material with alpha like glowing.

Modo default settings

Blender default with increasing transparency bounces to 70

P.S. Modo do not support GPU rendering…

I only needed to change from 8 to 9 for a visible change, going above 9 doesn’t matter on the provided scene. You’re using sRGB though, try Non-Color. Delete the invert node and swap the mix shader inputs. Seems to me if using sRGB the 1,1,1 in the image doesn’t translate to 1,1,1 evaluated which seems strange.
Maybe there is a limit to what the GPU can handle, but on CPU I have no issue duplicating the plane up to plane.020 with translation/rotation using 100 transparency samples. Max possible is 1024, but at that point, maybe the approach is not the best.
I don’t know if Modo does something differently, but here the engine sees the intersection, goes to material to evaluate is, does nothing and finds the next intersection - it is a shader call and it does take time.

test scene

How to get shadows with this huge numbers for bounce?

I just raised the plane object until its floor touched the object, and it had shadows.
Not sure what you are asking here. Renders in about 2min on CPU.
The background lighting is a simple color, and albedo looks to be very high.
I would try to improve the lighting and reduce the albedo.
Maybe mix in some translucency if applicable. A simple mix might not be “correct”,
but the correct way would be too elaborate and not worth it.
Could also turn off shadow catcher for the plane object, in case it messes things up, but worked for me.
Edit: Looked it up, and appears the albedo is quite high - although not quite in the snow area, still higher than I expected. But also images of it showed less “shadow definition” internally than you’d expect from a lower albedo material.

Shadows on mesh? (not on floor)
I need shadows on back side mesh from Sun like in modo example here

I am getting a shadow, it’s just weak due to the white background shader.
Try hiding the plane - that shadow catcher that’s doing nothing sensible.
Currently it’s reflecting the sunlight from all the backside washing out shadow.

shadow catcher it’s a part of the original scene, forgot to delete…
Tried with HDRI and Sun got the same result with washing out shadows for backside.

Then it’s the HDRI. Your sun is only 10 strength, combined with a background of 0.5 which creates enough definition. HDRI may be more than 10 completely fighting against your sun. Try no sun and HDRI where the HDRI have actual strong defined singular lightsource.
Remember that photos of this thing is usually outdoors, likely in sunlight. Sun is far brighter than surrounding sky and ground reflections.
Make sure a sun HDRI is unclipped. Otherwise, try using the new Nishita sky texture (with air, weird default) with no additional sun or shadow catcher. Works well for me.
Edit: Here is how it looks for me with Nishita sky as only light, and no shadow catcher:

1 Like

can you upload a scene with this settings?
screen from viewport or render?

I didn’t save it. Don’t you get this with shadow catcher deleted and white background replaced with sky node in Nishita mode (I think I had 1 in all the settings; air, dust, ozone, 45 degrees)? It’s slow though.

That’s ok, I have already done by myself similar result by disabling all in shadow catcher except shadows