Need help with Materials/Textures of Drum Set Scene

I have this freelance client project that I’m working on that I would like to finish by end of the month before I start my new job. This project is rather more of an odd job that I’m doing for extra money which is only in Blender. I specialize in Unreal Engine 4 game art which is different. So I got this 3d model provided by my client to use and edit. He wants it to look like the reference image and I"m trying to make it look like the reference image, however, the lighting and materials don’t look right.

This is what I got so far. The textures are WIP but I"m focusing on the Cymbals which I can’t seem to make it look right. What can I do to make this look more like the reference image below?

This is the reference image:

Do you have a hdri of the backround? that would be the easiest solution for the light.If not ,you could use the reference Image for reflections,or other backplate images if you have.
However, your difference in your render is due the white surrounding lighting you have now,you want that surrounding room seen in the reference image for the same reflections.

Maybe your client can give you the backround images, or even better the models and what lighting was used in the original scene.

No, I don’t. The reference image was not created by him. It came with his music software which is what I’m making a drum set for. I tried to find an HDRI of a similar scene like that. I feel like I should just create a basic room with wood floors and speakers but I have no idea where the lights are coming from. Right now, I just have a white cube surrounding the scene which is helping with bounce lighting otherwise the cymbals look very dark and too shiny.

To me the light seems comming from a spotlight positioned over the “head” of the player down to the right bass drum pedal (notice the bright spot at the pedal and the carpet and the shadow under the snare drum).you can see how the reflections on the cymbals pointing to the light direction.

This spotlight and a simple modeled room with that wood material,would be a good start.

I agree. I just model a floor with wood texture. I also model the walls and ceiling with a simple black material with full roughness. I deleted all the lights and yet I’m still getting lighting which is odd. That shouldn’t be the case…Here’s a render with no lights at all in the scene. I’m coming from Unreal Engine rendering where if there are no lights, it will be black, and yet here in Blender, it’s still bright and emissive (and yes, I checked the emissive value on the material).

If in Blender are no lights,it its black too.Maybe you have the world backround still at white?adjust backround str down to 0.

Fixed it! It was some odd environment setting that came with the file. For some reason, it really also sped things up performance-wise. It’s starting to look a lot better now.

2 Likes