Need help with shrinkwrap modifier

Good day Everyone,

I am having issues with the shrinkwrap modifier. I am trying to add a seal over the top of the multipacks, but when the shrinkwrap modifier is introduced it does not accurately follow the perimeter edge.
As seen in image 01, the profile of the perimeter edge has curved edges, that pull inwards, without the shrinkwrap modifier. Image 02 shows the shrinkwrap modifier added but does not follow the correct curved outlines.

What’s the vert/face count of your top layer? The one you want to shrinkwrap to the yoghurts.And the problem is that its doesn’t wrap into the little gaps between the yoghurts, right?

1 Like

Face count as per image 03. Thats correct, it does not follow the curved outline into the little gaps between the yoghurts.

Here’s a view of the containers vert count and profile outline.

Face count as per image 03. Thats correct, it does not follow the curved outline into the little gaps between the yoghurts.

Maybe you are better off using a cloth simulation.

Something like this, maybe: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/h7xVz-wsNEY

1 Like

i think you have to subdivide the plane more so that the shrinkwrap can work. Shrinkwrap does not add vertices, it just tries to move them. If there aren’t enough vertices - shrinkwrap might do nothing.

shrinkwrap2

You definitely have enough faces on the “cover”. I can only think of two suggestions: 1) Maybe it won’t shrinkwrap to the yoghurts because there is a subdivision modifier and it’s not taking that into account. So you’d have to apply that modifier, in that case. 2) Unless you want it to be animated, forget the shrinkwrap and just duplicate that edge surrounding the yoghurts, fill between and create the “cover” manually. That’s all I can think of. Hope that, or someone else can help you.

I probable would not use shrink wrap for this. Shrink wrap will not recreate those subdivided indents on your plane.

It would be easier to make a "copy of the topology of your base mesh like this:

Yogurt.blend (113.9 KB)

In the one on the right I used proportional editing to make the dips.
You can simply use snap to place the lids on (for cycles lift them very slightly above the base so there is no z fighting.)

1 Like