Need modeling tips - Daft Punk Helmets

Hello,

After few weeks of watching various tutorials on Blender modeling I’ve recently made these two models completely on my own. However, there are some obvious mistakes visible and I don’t know techniques to omit them.

Helmets have bevels in places where they should be rounded due to some additional loops that were required for beveling in other parts. By the way, I started modeling from the Cube primitive and now I’m not sure wether it was a good idea. Any advice will be appreciated.

It looks like your bevel edge loops do not follow the bevel. I’ve made an image to illustrate how I would fix that.

1. select the two vertices on the outside of two adjoining bevel faces (as showin in the middle image on the first column). merge the vertices at the center (select them and hit alt-m->center)

2. Now you need to get rid of those extra edge loops. if your loop that you want to remove supports it, you can ctrl-alt-right-click while in edge mode to select all the edges along the face loop and collapse (x->collapse edge) them and you’re done (to see if it supports it, select them with ctrl-alt-right-click and see if each edge that is selected is okay to collapse). If it does not support it then you’ll have to go through and select a group of faces that needs to be merged into one face and hit F. (as shown in the top picture of the second column)

3. Now you have n-gons that you need to make into a quads, select the vertices that were part of the removed edge loops and hit x->dissolve (or dissolve vertices depending on which version of blender you are using)

Another problem you have, that may disappear once you have fewer edge loops, is that your loops are bunched together in places where there should be curves. if you space those out more evenly, the curves will look better.

Thanks for advice. I’ll try to make a use of it.