Netflix Pitch Deal

So, I have been wondering…has anyone attempted at doing a pitch deal with Netflix for their animation or show? I’ve been meaning to make a deal with Netflix sometime in the future for my 3D animation series “Storm the Fox”, for multiple reasons.

The first reason, is that I know of the YouTube/COPPA thingy going on, on the Internet. I think people are panicking for their channel termination (which I do too).

So, my question is: Has anyone made a pitch deal with Netflix overtime?

I would like to have my 3D show on there, away from YouTube and COPPA’s settlement deal. Where, and how, can I look for a distributor to help me in getting a deal with Netflix for commercial reasons? I’ve been trying for sometime by looking for a few “How to Make A Distribution Deal” tips and advice on how I’ll get my show on it.

Could somebody help me in going this way for my series’ future of being seen by the viewers? I’d be greatly appreciated if I can get some help in that regard.

Thanks for reading, and have a great week, my friends!

Getting a company like Netflix to air a series you want to make can potentially earn a lot of money compared to Youtube, but you need to do your homework and look at the pros and cons.

Pros…

1. Potentially high earnings
  2. A potentially large audience
  3. Generous funding from a large company
  4. If it’s wildly popular, your name might become a household word

Cons…

1. Less autonomy, Netflix might expect you to make changes to your original idea as a condition for either airing or continuing the show
  2. Netflix can cancel your show if it’s not pulling in decent viewership or if it stops being financially viable.
  3. Extending number one, you might realize that some of your ideas (from character lines to themes) might be off limits entirely (because it does not fit with the company’s values).
  4. Deadlines, Netflix might expect new episodes completed in a certain time-frame (not like Youtube posting which can definitely be at your own pace).

Though if you search for “Youtube COPPA” in the site’s search bar, there are now some videos of people who actually got a response from the FTC and others who argue the initial panic is (mostly) unwarranted.

@DawnDarkness You probably want to hire an agent. Most companies don’t take unsolicited pitches. While you can get tons of useful information from the internet about how best to approach and formulate your pitch (Tad Stone’s blog offers some great incite), consulting with a hired agent or agency may be best option.

I can answer your question swiftly. Netflix is not making independent deals anymore. (by that I mean low budget DIY level) Also they do not accept “unsolicited material”. I had a movie on Netflix many years ago. And that was through a distributor. And they have even taken all of that indie stuff down recently.

Your first step - assuming you have a great project - is to contact and agent, lawyer, distributor etc.

This will be your first largest barrier. And in doing so you will have to weed out the BS deals, crooks and others generally looking to take advantage of you and make “promises”.

I have been through this myself. And it is no fun. Even with a project you think is worthy.

From there, if they think they can pitch it, they will. But likely any deal you make with a third party is going to recommend you pitch to all of the available outlets there are now. And this is growing with Apple getting into the mix.

Beware of sites such as this:

https://www.moviepitcher.com/clients/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

1 Like

So, is there a site where I can get an agent to help me professionally? I am quite passionate about my project (as most people are) and I’m determined to have my show on Netflix as an original series.

The second link…ooh, I can’t pay for USD, only my country’s currency (the DKK)

But, thanks for explaining, Richard. I’ll see if I can get either an agent or distributor to get my series on Netflix. (Would that mean, Netflix will be the ones in charge of producing my show instead of me if I were to get it to them?)

This one. I say avoid. Don’t, I repeat, do not fall for this scam.

There is Zero incentive for any distributor or agent to take projects because a company charges money for someone to pitch it.

To all of your other questions. Think of Netflix as being on the same level of any major Hollywood studio. Getting noticed by them is going to be just as equally hard for an indie producer. And there are all kinds of arrangements available once you get there.

Maybe edit the post and remove the link so that nobody uses it on accident and gets scammed.

1 Like

Those of Netflix are starting pissing me off.
They want to do a new series of Ghosts in The Shell …
I’m already pissed off like a hyena for that film of Americanized shit that twists the plot and tries to wash the brains.

Now also Netflix wants to continue to bite the knife in the wound with a style that looks like a hentai in 3D or at best a video game for ps2.

Why lately is there this desire to ruin masterpieces ??
Once upon a time there was a sacred respect for the great cult of the past!

1 Like

Thank goodness you deleted …
However, it is clear that you don’t know what Ghost in the Shell was, otherwise you wouldn’t have dared to make sentences. :wink:
…1995

1 Like

I deleted because I saw the date of the discussion, felt a bit weird to respond so long after…
Not because my comment was to be meant serious. :wink:

I’m old enough to have watched this one in the theatre multiple times, and have everything that came out after, and was available somehow, on DVD.

…so is there some way a NON-AMERICAN can pitch their idea to Netflix, or any other company? How do you make sure the idea doesn’t get stolen? For example, you tell someone what the story is, they say “no”, and proceed to make the movie themselves??

omg… (face palm)…

Get the “if I show, they steal” idea out of your head. They don’t do that because they can get sued. Professionally NO ONE ever does that. no one wants a lawsuit for IP (intellectual property).
HENCE, this is the core reason why they DON’T WANT your material. Ok? They DON’T.
That’s reality. Bear with it.

What they DO WANT: Is invite you to where IP markets go along the lines “you got 5 minutes per candidate in this MIPCOM, go: Pitch what you got with your project bible and your business card”.
To get to that specific point in time, you need a certified-Netflix agent OR go to any USA/Europe MIPCOM physically.

Too long to explain. Do the drill, produce 1 minute short movie. Present your production bible, and be ready with an IP lawyer to negotiate terms on a SECOND call after you’ve been selected…

2 Likes

Well, then how can you not admit that the “Netflix Ghost in the Shell” is stylistically an offense to Ghost in the Shell.
Damn it, with modern tools everything should be more easier to do, and therefore quality should increase.

maybe it’s a trend (which I hope will end soon) like modern music reduced to one note rhythm and false voice with autotune :sneezing_face:

If they never wanted anyone’s new material, they’d never have anything new to make. You seem to be of the “let’s make it hard for the newbie JUST TO SHOW HIM THAT LIFE CAN BE HARD” school of thought! Like- why?

What’s an “IP market”? What’s a project bible? And a MIPCOM? (sounds important… :slight_smile: )

Also, what’s the PAYMENT structure actually like? I assume I get paid Per Stream? How much? How much should I be asking for?

I took the time to post a bunch of specific technical terms for anyone interested, to go straight to the core. I explained it on the post.
“make it hard for the newbie”? * when HAS THE WORLD EVER been an “easy-to-go-by” place?

“school of thought”? <- H00 boy. Good luck. Other people would pay for the info I just dished out for free here.

Netflix is very global now. So it is not going to matter what country you are from. They have very diverse content these days.

And as I mentioned before they have moved up as one of the main distributors of content. So this means that they are not approachable directly. Same as any major distributor.

How to pitch an idea and who to pitch it too will depend on the idea and how good it is. There isn’t any formula I am aware of. I have never done it. But I have had friends that did. Living in Hollywood. A lot of networking, this connection leads to that one and so on. Then you find yourself in a studio lot pitching an idea to someone.

The only things that ever seemed to work for me. As in finding myself in an office with the opportunity to pitch something, was to a) make some kind of great product and b) get someone interested in me and willing to make introductions or connections.That is how my film made it on Netflix years ago. And years before that, a film I had directed attracted a lawyer with some connections that got me in front of someone at a studio.

So the only advice I can give is, do some great work. Writing or a production. Try to get your work out there and seen by someone. If you have some great ideas, try to find someone who believes in you with some connections.

The rest of it will take care of itself. I would not worry about specifics beyond that at this point.

Come on, pitching something to a studio has to have more of a set process than “this connection leading to that one” - there has to be a formal APPLICATION PROCEDURE, surely? …otherwise they’re doing it wrong, they ain’t gonna get the best ideas…

I would probably start by putting my show on Youtube where it could get a huge following. If it’s hugely popular Netflix might approach you to get the series on Netflix. It has to be super good. Until then lots of people on youtube substitute the horrible pay Google gives with Patreon and selling merchandise. If you series is that amazing people will want to support it. Now if you need money to get it going Kickstarter might be the way to go, but you should make one episode first and advertise. Kickstarter does not advertise at all for you. You have to do all your own advertisement. Good luck. It’s super competitive out there with endless shows on Netflix for people to watch as well as Youtube and a ton of other streaming services. It has to be something really special and still I think you need to be lucky to get anything through the white noise of crap shows on a lot of streaming sites.

I’m also thinking if it really is good try Nickelodeon if kid friendly, or Comedy Central of it’s funny, Cartoon Network could be good for more grown up cartoon or CG. I’d say all 3 of those networks are smaller than Netflix which means easier to get a meeting with. Still, you probably need something extra special and probably already done so they can watch the whole thing. Going in with an agent that has worked with them before and says you need to see this show it’s really good is way more powerful than a random person calling and saying I got an idea for a show that is not made yet, but will be amazing. They probably get 100 calls a day from people saying they have amazing idea.

2 Likes

What a great work!
In 1995 when the film came I was stating in CG and VFX and it blew my mind just by the style and the vision… Still today I am discovering new details each time I watch it…

1 Like