Never Repeating pattern? Is this the end of tiling textures?

Not really a mathematician but if this is possible, any chance we can get this implemented in Blender so we no longer have those ugly tiling pattern we are always trying to get rid of in cg art?

1 Like

This one has come up in a few threads in the past.

(not the only one)

I am not sure that it would actually help much though there is a pattern to it , even if in theory it does not repeat the pattern would still be visible.

1 Like

Just read the thead. Thanks. I am hoping the same way Dave discovered the tiling pattern. Someone somewhere in the cg world comes up with a final solution to the tiling issue because my trained eye picks up tiling patterns easily and even time I see it in a cg art, I shudder too.

1 Like

Yes I think it is not that easy, Image textures are the worst, with procedural textures you can sort of randomize grunge etc but a good Photo of real grunge always looks better
…until you tile it :rofl:

1 Like

True words, mate. :laughing: Maybe we 3d artists should be looking more at using procedurals instead of textures and renderer devs should be paying more attention to them? Like if Cycles X is made to have faster speed for procedural textures like image textures when tiled?

I understand Cycles is faster with image textures than procedurals due to computation differences.

It will always be. An image texture is a given fact, a procedural one is the result a calculation once calculated it produces an “image” (there is an extra step).

That is why people bake complicated node setups, I have seen extremely complicated ones that take a lot of time to calculate.

Indeed. Seriously praying that someone somewhere comes up with the perfect answer to tiling image textures both organic and otherwise. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have tried myself to look into it but eh…nothing so far.

I was obsessed with Irregular stone walls and have never managed to nail one.

Yeah. Also bricks and wood with specific required details. Those are quite problematic.

Well bricks and wood do have the advantage that they have a "natural repeating pattern.
They are tricky but you can get better results than with more random things.

Well, we will have to make due with what is available to us in Blender. I am happy to know ppl are still trying to find a way to improve it and hopefully one day it happens where the one solution to all tiling problems is found.

I am happy for the maths community. Cg art community is hopefully next.

1 Like

New node options (like the new voronio and noise) are being worked on and more will show up, the new principled shader is also getting along (changes will be gradual). But yes these are building blocks.

What makes substance so popular is the amount of pre built patterns and good brush management that you can just use to paint in. This is also possible in Blender but you do have to create your own library of pattern assets and set up the layer nodes etc

The asset manager is a step towards pre built assets (node groups, brushes and patterns). There is also a dev project to get layers for nodes and better brush management so these things will arrive to Blender one day.

Nearly all these things are already possible but you are correct, they do involve a lot of low level setting up and are not “artist friendly” out of the box.

2 Likes