New base mesh for my new style

Creating a new base mesh for my new style so I don’t need to sculpt everything from scratch every time.

As always, fingers and toes are the trickiest ones to get right.

2 Likes

Loving it! with the black eyes it looks like an alien. can’t wait to see more.

1 Like

Ah! Thank you! I’ll make sure to show more!
And those eyes are just quick template to help me judge the proportion.

1 Like

Added some nails!

Yeah, since I’m going to be re-using them in the future, I really work slowly and carefully and make sure to get them somewhat decent.

2 Likes

moving on to retopology

marking the loops with various colors so I can be mindful of where I’d make the cut.

BANG!

Quick rigging test using Rigify before getting into weight painting.

Finished the retopo.

Since I’m making two types of base meshes, I separated the models into different body parts so I can match the geometry as close as possible to reduce time on rigging and weight painting.

And for some reason, I created this simple geometry nodes setup to display vertex group in object mode as vertex color so I don’t need to go to the weight painting mode all the time.

1 Like

Indeed, a base mesh is always an important thing to have in your disposal. However, you’d want to make sure that your base mesh is as universal as possible according to your particular style. So are the extremely dimpled nose, protruding jaw, and relatively small facial area, parts of that conscious stylistic choice?

1 Like

yup! I created the base mesh specifically for this style alone since I want to speed up some parts of my workflow like retopo, uv unwrap, rigging, etc.
But when I was sculpting them, I was mindful to keep the shapes as adjustable as I can for later needs.

1 Like

Posing test.

The base meshes are done!
Now it’s only a matter of adding other properties like eyes, hair, and everything else!

2 Likes