New Blender 2.42 Preview 19 (IPO update) Sumo disabled (partial)

A new 2.42 Game Engine / Bullet preview 19:

Win32:
http://www.continuousphysics.com/ftp/pub/test/index.php?dir=blender/&file=blender-2.42-win32-preview19.zip
Linux:
http://www.continuousphysics.com/ftp/pub/test/index.php?dir=blender/&file=blender-linux-2.42-preview19.tgz

Use with preview 17 demos:
Physics Demos:
http://www.continuousphysics.com/ftp/pub/test/index.php?dir=blender/&file=physics_demos-2.42-preview17.zip

Graphics Demo, including GLSL Parallax Mapping:
http://www.continuousphysics.com/ftp/pub/test/index.php?dir=blender/&file=graphics-demos-2.42-preview19.zip

This time some bug fixes, and Sumo is disabled/replaced by Bullet.
If you really need Sumo, please use 2.41.

(NEW) some fix/update to python scripting relates issues and text in the player (by Charlie)
(NEW)- kinematic interaction with rigid body, allows IPO and MotionActuator (dloc/drot) interaction with dynamic/rigid bodies
(NEW)- after loading a 2.41 or older SUMO file it will automatically enable Bullet. However you can switch back, and save.

• Bullet Baking fixed (first frame was not recorded, and now it records from the ‘currentframe’ onwards)

• PropertySensor Changed/MessageSensor triggering IpoActuator behaviour changed so it plays animation

• Bullet Physics/Raycast improvements

• increased the logic tickrate from 30 to 60 hertz (experimental),

erwin, you rule.
I think you should abandon sumo and focus on bullet.

And Are You Doing Physics or The Whole Engine?

He has abandoned sumo, a long time ago :slight_smile: Bullet is his new physics engine.

I’ll see if I can figure that mouse bug out erwin, thanks for your support. I am kind of busy so I’ll let you know in a few days.

Edit: After quick testing, the wierd mouseover sensor issue had to do with parented objects - if I unparent all my gui buttons and reparent them, the mousesensors work ok. So it could be something that happened during a conversion between versions?

well, ONLY if you get bullet working entirely.

Um, why is Bullet listed two times in the engine menu?

Sorry, can’t abandon Sumo yet, especially since

1). anisotropic friction still doesn’t work
2). Objects still can’t ride IPO objects
3). Restitution still has no effect

Get these three issues addressed and you’ll probably be good in getting rid of Sumo

1). anisotropic friction still doesn’t work
2). Objects still can’t ride IPO objects
3). Restitution still has no effect

Those are fairly easy to fix, but I didn’t realized that was so essential for making a game. (I’m currently busy for E3, will see if I get the time to fix those 3 for 2.42, cross your fingers :wink:

If you want reasons why they’re essential then let me give you three examples of where they could be useful.

number 1 can be used for racing games to prevent the car from sliding down sideways (as said in the Blender gamekit book)
number 2 would often be used in platformers or shooting games where an environment often includes lifts or movers. Character platformers like Spyro, Crash, and others are full of these platforms.
number 3 is good for marble games, a little spring in the marble can add additional challenges like bouncing on a narrow platform piece to get to another piece.

Oh, and LinV still doesn’t work, I find it’s a good alternative to Dloc for characters.

Does the preview post run on Linux? I don’t want to spend the time downloading and find out after. As far as abandoning sumo, can we write real games with it or just physics demos? Do all the logic bricks work and GameLogic functions work? I think people always hold back on learning and using something new, if it’s really capable of writing complex games, we should use it. If we’re forced to make dominoes simulations, we should have a sumo option.

your telling me i have to learn a whole new way doing thing in blender DAMMIT

hey erwin, can you fix the replace mesh actuator so the replaced mesh deforms to the armature that the origional was? because it is essential to rpg’s and games like that with many weapons and clothes changes.

And Thanks For All Your Hard Work It Is Appreciated Greatly.

Charlie is looking into this at the moment.
Thanks,
Erwin

Have you seriously looked at Bullet features? Have you tried the vehicle simulation? Most of the logic bricks just work, and if not let me know.

Thanks,
Erwin

Cool Thanks.

Have you seriously looked at Bullet features? Have you tried the vehicle simulation? Most of the logic bricks just work, and if not let me know.

When I click on Bullet right now with an armature type person with actions that works normally in sumo, it starts spinning like crazy and drops through the floor at the heavy gravity I normally use, at .8 it floats away. That’s with 2.41 of course. I’d be happy to try 2.42 if I knew the download was for linux users.

I Think I Found A Problem In The Ray Sensor Of The Preview 16

Here Are Screens
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3494/preview146rb.th.jpg
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/7060/preview160fa.th.jpg
On THe Second Image It Tells What The Problem Is

I don’t think EndObject should be affected by physics frames. In fact, EndObject being unaffected would help get back to the regular framerate.

I tried the linux preview but it says it can find
libgettextlib-0.14.3.so

I have gettext .14.5 installed in usr/lib on ubuntu so it should find it. Don’t suppose anyone knows anything about this. I can’t find that particular version.

why is the game engine getting so SLOW?

Hello
Make a symbolic link, type in a xterm as root:
ln -s /usr/lib/libgettextlib-0.14.3.so /usr/lib/libgettextlib-0.14.5.so
it should work ( i have 0.14.4.so)
Bye

Looks great!

Two bugs, though:

1. Faces set to “shadow” behave weirdly (at least when parented to something like a vehicle). [It worked well in preview 11, but not 15 or 16]

2. Faces set to “Text” work well inside Blender, but make a published executable crash. [It worked in v41, but not in v42 preview 11, 15, or 16]

HT