New Free Multi Layer Cloth Tutorial

EDIT: Chapters added in video description on YouTube. I think this will be helpful.

I have finally gotten the Multi Layer Cloth tutorial done. It took awhile, because it’s like 2 hours of information edited down to 20 minutes or so. It’s requires intermediate to advanced knowledge of Blender.

I’ve also made the rig available. I tried to do it for free, but Gumroad wouldn’t accept a file over 250mb for free, so I made it $1. If anyone knows of some place I can post the file for free that isn’t Google Docs, please let me know. The zipped size is around 360mb.

This is my first attempt at a tutorial, so please help me make them better if you have suggestions. My next one is going to be a Rigify tutorial on Blender 4. It will be different from anything I’ve seen, I guarantee it.

I need all the help I can get promoting the video and channel, if anyone feels inclined to use their social media prowess.

I hope this helps people who have struggled to try and use cloth for characters. Thank you for reading this.

4 Likes

Dropbox, we transfer, mega…

1 Like

Wanna try it? EDIT, updated with version that has mocap corrected:

That works…

OMG the foot slippage… LOL.

Will watch the video later then have a play. Want to get through the video I am watching.

Thanks for sharing the file…

1 Like

That’s pretty cool. As for the knees issue, have you tried setting the Speed Multiplier to 0.4 or 0.5? It might help so that we don’t have to deal with creating a shape key and animate it for the knees.

1 Like

And…this is why I needed a different set of eyes :slight_smile: Thank you so much for this!

I was way too focused on making sure the texture maps uploaded with the file. That rig does not have a dress rig. It is specifically intended for the Multi Layer Cloth Tutorial and not to be used without it.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. Changing the Speed Multiplier (which actually doesn’t change the speed at all) would be an option if the Blender programmers had been kind enough to include Vertex groups for Speed Multiplier, Vertex Mass, Object Collision distance, and Self Collision distance.

In my humble opinion, there should be Vertex Groups for every single setting.

Since they didn’t do that, workarounds that enable very localized effects had to be created. I chose a long dress that went past the knees for this character, because that would be a show stopper for a lot of people.

I show what happens when various settings are changed starting at 15:55, Speed Multiplier is one of the first of those demonstrations. Also, increasing Collision Quality does not do what it says. I show what happens when you do that at 17:00.

1 Like

I highly recommend that anyone using layered materials watch this!

It comes with my Stamp of Approval!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like