New Hair Curves System Slows Frame Rate from 60+ to Just 11 FPS

Hi guys, I almost finished a character for animation in Blender 3.6.5, and I’m adding bone physics components to the model until I pressed Play… The frame rate was only 9-10 FPS at best. After disabling things such as old hair particle system, the frame rate only improved to 11 FPS… Then I disabled the eyebrows that are made with the new hair curves, and the FPS jumped to over 60+! The eyebrows are totally static and only have the minimum geonodes for styling. I had to remake the hair in old particle system already because the new system is lacking features to give the style I want. If mere eyebrows can hit frame rate so hard, it only means one thing:

The new hair curves are not production/animation-ready!

I saw that there was talk of eliminating the old hair system… I tremble in fear. Geonodes aren’t ready to handle hair yet.

1 Like

The surface deform modifier that makes the hairs ‘stick’ to the face are mostly what causes the slow down.

Yeah, well it doesn’t really have animation at the moment, more just said surface deform so ‘hairs’ stick to the mesh as it deforms.

I remember a couple of threads a year or so ago when based on some dev notes I said that any hair/cloth simulation replacement was still likely a year away. I was basically told I as assuming too much, that it didn’t say or imply that and how I was just wrong, etc, etc.

I guess in a way I was wrong, I should have said 2 years. Since I really don’t think we will see much for another year now.

I remember reading that at one point in relation to the 4.0 release, while in alpha stage and thinking are they out of their minds.