New hair system how to use for character rig and animation

Hi! Can you please give me some advice about new hair system in the Blender. I
I modeling a character, he will have wool hat. As the shpae of future wool hat I use simple mesh (see screenshots). I created some hairs above this shape and this is the result I almost want. But there is steel some questions:

1. In my base shape mesh there is a bottom part I don’t want to be with hair (for now all the mesh is hairy). So the question is - can I choose come vertecses and creat the vertex group and then tell geonodes to limit the growing of the hair using this vertx group? wich node shoul I use for that and how?

2.This character will be use for the rig and animation. So the question is - now all my hairs created from new way - using geo nodes. So what is the right way to use this hairs for rig? Should I convert it first to the old hair system or I can use it as it is (as geo nodes) in rig?
3. I will change position of the character (I will lift him a little by Z axes). When I do this and aply the transforms hairs goes away from the hat (see example in screenshot). How can I fix it?

Here the blend file with this hat
hat.7z (770.2 KB)

this is all nodes and settings in it I used

what node should I use and what the settings should I use to limit the hair emission mby vertecs group

I solve the questiion 1 using this node and vertex goup

I find the way how to fix issue by question №3 - when we change the position of hat (core mesh) and apply it, the hair object will loose position and will be far away from base mesh. To fix it we have to apply transform (location) on the hair object too and after that the hair object will ‘snap’ to the base mash (fly back to correct position)

Which means you’re left with my biggest issue at the moment, question 2, animation.

At the moment there is no simulation/dynamics system for the new hair curves and I wouldn’t expect anything any time soon. Due to the surface deform, the placement of the hairs will move with the deformation of the mesh. So think of say eyebrows, move the mesh under the hair curves and the hairs as a bulk mass will move up and down as well.

However, if you say have long hair and turn the head, then the hair will just rotate the same as a single mass.
As for converting it all to the old particle system, I have no idea how well that would work and even if it does, you are then stuck with all the issues of said particle dynamics.

1 Like

Thanx for answer. About convert geonode hairs to the old particle system. It’s not so easy to convert geonodes to old hair system. Yes, there is the button for that, but you get only curve position but all of the effects (you got by layers of geonode modifiers) will loose…
Thats sad that there is no dynamics with new hair system…