New icons for Blender 2.8

You say a lot of things I agree with, but it’s the incipit of the whole thing in which I don’t agree with you: thanks to it’s free nature Blender is the natural choice for everyone who is approaching the cgi world, for curiosity, for fun, most of them don’t really know if that’s going to be their work, and they won’t buy a separate monitor or a desktop pc just to try a new program.

I may be biased on this, but arbitrary break usability for basically half of the laptops currently on the shelves doesn’t seems that good of an idea to me.
And it’s not about me really, I can stand a slightly blurred interface for some time and I will probably need to change my laptop quite soon.

Anyway, this is going quite far and off topic, I also hope that Jendrzych’s new design doesn’t get wasted, I really like it; I simply think that these are decisions that shouldn’t be taken that lightly, and maybe a compromise should be chosen, or implement different ways to manage icons and text, I don’t really know, developers are the ones who will need to discuss this if the design get accepted in the near future.

I think it would be real nice if people using lower resolution monitors from the bronze age were able to run Blender without a totally cropped interface.

My phone was full HD 8 years ago. There’s just no excuse for expecting to get a good experience at 768p in 2018. Blender should IMHO support 1080p still as a baseline, but optimize for 4k and 8k.

Blender is already free, so new users can put the money they saved not buying Modo or Maya toward a decent screen.

3 Likes

This is a modern 3D visualisation app.
Modern 3D art is not for crappy computers anyway.

Otherwise, older versions of blender are not going anywhere…

1 Like

I agree because I live in France and make a decent living, but you’re forgetting the other half of the world guys. There should at least be a small effort towards making it not broken on smaller monitors.

3 Likes

There is already a UI scale slider, you can adjust the scale to whatever you need for your hardware. It’s not perfect, but some compromises will have to be made for low res monitors

About 768p monitor debate.

According to the official Blender’s Requirements:

Minimum (basic usage) hardware

• 32-bit dual core 2Ghz CPU with SSE2 support.
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 24 bits 1280×768 display
  • Mouse or trackpad
  • OpenGL 2.1 compatible graphics with 512 MB RAM

What does it mean?

Blender is meant to be correctly usable at least with such things.
Not only it’s meant to be usable at least with these, but also it have to be developed in that way. If something can’t work on this setup, then it has to be reworked until it makes it.
And as it’s the minimal requirement, it also means that every feature on a higher end setup must work at least the same, if not better.

BUT!
Those requirements are set for 2.7 and lower. They will change for 2.8, at least for the graphics units because of OpenGL version switched to 3.3

TL;DR:
Stahp it & wait’n’ see ! :wink:

1 Like

Its been a while since the last update. Are the icons still being worked on?

I just finished my summer vacations - the work goes on, but very slowly due to real life dayjob duties.
I shrink and redesign icons one by one.

4 Likes

Blender will and SHOULD be able to run on cheaper laptops. God knows I ran outdated hardware for most of the 2000-2010’s and, while it did hold me back, it gave me a chance to learn. Plus, if you are making interactive things EG games it can help to have an older machine to test it runs smoothly on older kit (this is particularly true for more casual games)

I must admit I’ve stopped doing tutorials at 720p, though, so I guess I’m not taking this section of the audience into account.

If a scale-down-the-interface option exists, then can it detect display size and scale down?

Here’s a proof that the project is alive (new, 14x14 pix, Filebrowser’s content icons):

20 Likes

Following your icons idea. Enjoying simplicity, how clean they look. Thank you for your efforts.

1 Like

Im curious to see how you will tackle the more complex icons

Bump up!
Objects icons and corresponding Object Data pictograms:
Objets%20and%20Objects%20Data%20-%20mock_4
Can You name each of them?

3D View modes icons - another try at the Object Mode icon. An oldschool concept this time - back to the roots seem to be the right choice :wink:
3D%20view%20modes%20XS%20-%20mock_5

10 Likes

I think I can. The top row, from left to right…

Wishbone, Mork, gas pipe, Windows Italic Edition, boobie, angry alien overlord, surprised cookie monster, a fancy lower cased a, sheet blowing in the wind, tipped over pasta bowl, introduction to still life painting, smooshed spider.

If this is a preview of things to come, Blender 2.8 is going to be FANTASTIC!

9 Likes

Awesome !
I’m not sure about all of them, but it’s great anyway.
Here is how I understand them :
1 : Empty object ?
2 : Mesh (the filled triangle alone is a little bit unclear) , where ObData is really neat !
3: Curves , same feeling with mesh, the filled version look a bit too abstract
4: Can’t understand what it is …
5 : Lamps, very nice icons BTW !
6 : Camera , awesome but maybe having two different shape is a bit confusing, unlike mesh vs mesh data
7 : Text object , very nice , same feeling than for the camera.
8 : Text file ?
9 : sound file
10 : scene ?
11 : MetaBall or Nurbs ? I never use them …

Can’t wait to see blender with all your icons, it will give a far better experience and professional look !
Keep up the good work !

These look great so far keep up the amazing work

I’m gonna take a guess at the top row
Empty, Mesh, Curve, Lattice, Metaball, Lamp, Camera, Text, Surface, Speaker, Group Instance, and Force Field?

The last one really doesn’t look a whole lot like the force field’s icon, I thought it could be an alternate sun/world icon. The group instance icon might get confused for scenes too although that’s mostly down to people not knowing what group instances are.

I like these icons, even if I wish they were coloured

The last one is the Light Probe, with Reflection Cubemap, Reflection Plane and Irradiance Volume.
I agree, that Collection Instance and Scene icons are similar, but do they really look the same?
%20Group%20Instance%20Data%20-%20mock_1

P.S. Lately the set got an icon for Grease Pencil Object too:
Grease%20Pencil%20Object%20-%20mock_1

P.P.S. Forcefiled is still missing though. As well as all teh rigging stuff.

2 Likes

New File Browser content icons.
File%20Browser%20content%20icons%20-%20mock_1

From the left:

1. an ordinary file (a file that’s not supported by Blender);
  2. a hidden dot file;
  3. a regular Blender file;
  4. a blender backup file;
  5. an image file;
  6. a movie file;
  7. a python script;
  8. sound file;
  9. a font;
  10. a text file;
  11. a 3D file (collada, obj, etc.);
  12. a volume object file.

The last two items were requested by devs here: LINK.

4 Likes