New icons for Blender 2.8

More teasing:

1. new overlay icon proposals:
    overlay%20icons%20-%20mock_1

2. common photo camera and movie camera icons:
    common%20cameras%20-%20mock_1

3. pictograms for: Render Image, Render Animation and Stereo 3D:
    launch%20rendering%20-%20mock_1

4. tweaked and refined Objects and their Object Data icons for Outliner (no Armature yet):
    Objets%20and%20Objects%20Data%20-%20mock_1

10 Likes

A breifcace or a drawer maybe? collections%20-%20mockup_3
Or just a simple cardboard box? Tapedā€¦ collections%20-%20mockup_2

3 Likes

Beautiful once again. One question: Do the Blender devs in the Netherlands know that youā€™re doing this, and have they signaled to you that your icons will be used in 2.8? Now that Iā€™ve seen your icons, itā€™s either them or nothing for me personally.

1. About the overlay icons: Have you tried a flat top view grid and different compositions? Both deigns look weirdly unbalanced like several icons in one.
  2. The temples of the 3D glasses are perhaps too perspectively incorrect and therefore a little wonky-looking.

I got in touch with Pablo Vazquez and William Reynish, so theyā€™re aware of my gimpy attempts.
Regarding Overlay icons - flat grid is used in another icon ( absolute%20grid%20snap%20-%20mock_1 - Absolute Grid Snap).
3D glasses are consistent in style with the rest of the icon set - symbolic and schematic rather than perspective correct.

1 Like

The Brush and Grease Pencil icons:
grease%20pencil%20and%20brush%20-%20mock_1

Now itā€™s time to take a break and comeback to real life work. Neglecting source of incomes is a bad habitā€¦

6 Likes

The box looks nicer and simpler imo

2 Likes

Monoicon support all the way! :smiley:

could you make a small test for me (i donā€™t know the right color palette for it)?

try to make the black border on the icon in a lighter shade than the background.

Could You elaborate more, cause I donā€™t get it - a black border in a lighter shade than the background?

shader editor look like jellyfish icon
:rofl:

2 Likes

I actually prefer very colorful iconsā€¦and am far less concerned what ā€˜everyone elseā€™ is doingā€¦

the debate is purely what you like moreā€¦not of colors are more quickly recognized vs monochromeā€¦because it is a plain fact that they ARE fasterā€¦

so, it is all a matter of preference. I prefer colorā€¦but not like the single color for all modifiersā€¦they require different colorsā€¦and also not the C4D styleā€¦all I see is green, orange, white and blackā€¦

anywayā€¦said my peace.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what makes it so awesome! The world needs more stylized jellyfish icons!

There is a saturation slider for icons already, Shouldnā€™t that cover most users needs?

Indeed. I think Pablo even mentioned in a video that the main reason the icons are being made monochromatic is so they can be colored/themed by the user. Hopefully, this will include having colors for different categories of tools and functions.

ā€œTheyā€ are working on new Tools icons.

I find them nice and for that very reason I think that some of icons form my set need slight redesign, to match different axonometry type - 45 deg oblique instead so far used dimetric view. For the sake of consistency.
Sth like that:
new%20axonometry%20-%20mock_1

10 Likes

ā€¦and when I thought this couldnā€™t get any better.

1 Like

Why not match the style?

With fills all will become 16x16 pix blotches. Going linear is a must. Maybe - if I ever finish UI icons - in the future, Iā€™ll play with Tools? Ho knows.
Tools icons are fine, but Iā€™d use lines instead white filled polygons. This way, main part of a pictogram (the most informative part) would become more clean cut.
Would love to get in touch with the designer - already made a call on blender.chat/channel/UI.

2 Likes

The issue is that the 2 styles are way too different to live in the same applicationā€¦ :thinking:

And yes, those 16x16 would benefit from an increase in sizeā€¦ They are too small nowā€¦ :frowning:

Standard practice is to design the smallest icons first and interpolate the style to bigger pictograms tpo maintain consistency. Those tiny bits have hell of limitations, thus gettinā€™ in touch with Tools icons designer is so important.

4 Likes