NEW interactive "inset extrude" addon!

well i can try to add a key !

but there must also be a way to call it from the space bar i hope!

one suggestion why not add this as another tool in the 3D script for other tools in viewport if possible
don’t remember the script name sorry!

it would complement this script i think

thanks nice work

RickyBlender, searching and launching this add-on from spacebar works perfectly here, actually it is how I tested it.

As JoS mentioned the Tool shelf has issues and it will be fixed, so don’t worry and just go insetting / extruding something around to help bug hunting! :rolleyes:

under what name do you search it with space bar ?

i tried with mesh…
but don’t see the name for this?
so must be another name to get it !

thanks

it’s called “inset extrude” for now

working and very cool tool i like that one!
whish there was a faster way to access it
but is there sort of a list of keys not used
i mean i don’t know what keys i can use without creating problems somewhere else in blender!

or may be double keys like Ctrl-I or else may be
hope you can solve other issues soon

thanks

I’m liking this tool a lot! Very handy for me trying to find a replacement for the 3dsmax inset tool that i came to enjoy that maya doesn’t quite have. Blender continues to be a great supporting tool for me in work these days(and my major tool at home)! It’s you guys making it happen!! :smiley:

I particularly like the ability to take the inset as a region around 90 degree angles - particularly handy modelling buildings and architectural stuff, howardt’s features in conjunction with these would be just what i’ve been looking for! :smiley:

Good times!
Aidy

Nice tool…

Could this work without faces? Currently when I try it just looses the selection as soon as I run the tool.

From a complex vertex loop, I would like to inset/extrude evenly to create the face loop defining the edge of, or cutouts in a surface.

Think about the fine detailed cutouts in the body of a violin. It’s easy to outline them vertex to vertex but the current tools require a workaround to create a properly formed even face loop from the initial edges.

Very nice addon. Hope it becomes a standard tool option.
Thanks…

great tool, i need to test it rigth now!

First of all THANK YOU for creating this tool! It’s super useful.

One comment, if feels like when you use the “i” key to inset that you should be dragging towards the center instead of out. It feels backwards to me… am I the only one?

Hai, In normal blender builds it is working good. But I tried in bmesh builds and it is not working. I think if you can look in to that it will be greate

Thanks

BMesh uses a completely different data structure for its meshes so none of the tools and addons that work in current Blender builds will work in the BMesh builds without being recoded first.

How to Install Inset Extrude Add-on Procedure here

Thanks everyone! it is really rewarding to see that people enjoy your work

@ pappy
That would indeed be a great addition to the tool, extending the edges parallel to their original
faces. it would however cause less predictable results, as for example in this case
i realise however the benefits of such functionality is worth the shortcomings,
and it would be quite easy to integrate to the tool.

@ comeinandburn
do you mean dragging towards the center of the screen?
if so consider the cases when you want the new faces to be bigger than the original ones.
how would the reference point be chosen. if a lot of people complain about the
interaction style i might consider reviewing it, but i urge you to test it for some
time before rejecting it as i personally feel it is very simple and fast as is.

@ swathi
i probably won’t look at bmesh until it is in trunk, too much work could be lost with small changes.

Thank you Jos, great work, I think this should be built in rather than an addon its so usefull.

suggestions

can you add a feature where you can select to increase to a specific height or depth

usefull for doing mechanical design
like have an inset of 1/4 " for instance

may need to add a panel for that

thanks

Ricky, that was asked already… :stuck_out_tongue:

i tried download the first post link

and after doing the script i can see the sub panel in tool panel
but when i change a value there i loose the inset in viewport

is this a bug ?

or how can i correct that ?

thanks

Very cool script :slight_smile: