New Mesh selection in Blender 4x

Hi guys!

I compile blender from source every day, and I’ve noticed that the vertex selection was changed.

In the previous versions if you have some verts selected and click over another random vert Blender deselect the entire selection and edit the new selected vert.

Now blender moves the entire group, so, we must deselect previously to move a new vert.

This is the post: https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender/commit/618f39fca23ca7734a09a8f08efced8379efd2b3

Has somebody notice it? because it could be very uncomfortable.

Greeeeetings!

Hmm this seems to affect only the tweak tool (from toolbar which works exactly like that) change your select tool to any other that is not tweak (e.g lasso, circle) and it should be the default behavior I guess (unless they did something to this and I am unaware, but this tweak changes seem to go to 4.0)

Hi Michael! how are you man?
Yes, I did it, but I think that the coders have changed the complete behavior in the last build.

I’m using lasso, and it looks like a merge of tweak tool and the others…

1 Like

Noticed this too. I thoght I just had changed some settings, because I was working on another machine but it’s doing the same thing on my windows pc. Don’t know how I feel about this. Might need some getting used to.

1 Like

Am fine gracias bro, Hmmm but you are using the cursor tool in this case, so I guess they just added the select function there which wasn’t possible before. I think the lasso,circle,box select is the same behavior (let me know if not) as before (that’s what I use, I don’t use the cursor while
selecting which only works to place it on the viewport, but is good now that can be selected things at the same time…)

Now as I test the idea on 3.6 it would make sense, because in order now to move a selection, I think avoiding the tweak tool and pressing the ‘G’ instead.

it is not related to lasso, circle, box, now everything is the same like the commit said :frowning: .

This new option adds more steps to modeling process, I thought that it was just an error, but not…

Classic behavior:

Ah ya, yes this new behavior would be preferred for the tweak tool now, rather than selecting only a single vertex everytime even having multiple vertices selected…

It is a rubbish, but Nahuel Belich has found a solution…

“Only Select Unselected”

3 Likes

I am not familiar with this use case. But according to what I do usually is to consider mouse actions in three steps.

• click-down: ? (wait for next event)
  • click-up: select
  • click-dragging: moves the selection

This means that in order to model complex behavior on the same button, you need to juggle with the events quite a bit.

1 Like

I just click drag, g and enter or left click lol…

@oscurart @MichaelBenDavid

Also I just remembered that in Prefs > Input > Mouse Drag Threshold could be set to 1px instead of the default 3px. In a sense the default 3 it feels like you are putting too much effort for drag, while with 1px it would feel more like a “click” (but is not a click) and is somehow more convenient.

2 Likes

my “default behavior” since ever… (2.77)

1 Like

a very welcome change