new notebook

hello,
I am planning to buy a new laptop/notebook primary for blender. in a price range about $800 - $1200. can you give me some tips? notebook will be used mostly for work in blender. I am working with cycles now more, so it will be good if it will works best with cycles :slight_smile:
any tips?
what about this for example: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+IdeaPad+086264U+15.6"+LED+Notebook+-+Intel+Core+i7+i7-2670QM+2.20+GHz+-+Dusk+Black/4340657.p?id=1218475475411&skuId=4340657 ?

no recommendations for a new blender laptop? :slight_smile:

If you have a price range, it’s usually best to say what that price range is. Just saying $ is meaningless, there are a tens of countries that use dollars.
Make a list of what is a neccessity, preferable, ideal, definitely not etc. Only you know if you want a numpad, what size of screen, how portable, what OS etc.
For cycles get a compatible CUDA card, get fast a processor as you can, lots of ram, 64bit operating system. Do you want to buy now or wait until new cards/processors are released.
Do you need a laptop. Get more for the same money with a desktop. What are you willing to compromise for that portablility.

yes, laptop. i have a good working desktop pc.
as i said about $800-$1200 will be good (but not necessarily, if i will be convinced it is worth more, i can buy for more)…
i just dont know which notebook to pick. numpad will be good…

If your future laptop will play a big role in your workflow i think it’s a good thing to start considering both the machine and the service/plan that comes with that machine.

Considering this i think that the only brand that you can choose is Dell because offers a good balance between hardware and assistance if you are ready to pay an extra.

If you can deal with 1-2 week or more without your laptop i think that every brand can be good for you.

Consider that this is a relatively good phase for buying a pc, Intel already announced that the launch of new CPUs is delayed and Nvidia will show off some new 28nm GPUs; so if you are considering a purchase and you can wait 1-2 month, my suggestion is: wait.

As desktop user do not think that a laptop machine could replace a normal PC, especially if under an heavy load of jobs, the laptops usually lacks in terms of airflow and performance in some areas like the quality of the fans, the performance of the chipset on the motherboard, and so on, also the display is a downside in the 99% of the cases because the quality of the panel is low and the viewing angles are terrible, and also the resolution is not usually too high.

Buy a laptop if you need a laptop or if you usually do some basic stuff like low-poly modeling and texturing, in this case the difference between a desktop and a laptop is pratically zero, but do not expect a lower rendering time or better performance or a better “workspace” because you will be disappointed.

Right now you can go for a generic i7 with an Nvidia GPU and an antiglare screen, which is a machine fully covered by your budget; but like i said, the best thing that you can do right now, if you can choose, is wait for some new stuff.

http://www.rkmusic.info/avatar3.jpgI just dont know which notebook to pick. numpad will be good.

http://www.rkmusic.info/avatar3.jpgConsider that this is a relatively good phase for buying a pc, Intel already announced that the launch of new CPUs is delayed and Nvidia will show off some new 28nm GPUs; so if you are considering a purchase and you can wait 1-2 month, my suggestion is: wait.

i guess i will wait 1-2 months.
thanks for tips!