New OpenCanvas...4 shades rough

Now looks like a female m the mouth it is ok maybe to make it more feminine make the down lip a liter bigger , when a female smile the up lip it is smaller than the down lip.

So make the down lip fuller.

Now loooks like an 30 y.o. female for a 20 y.o. you must fine up a little the details.

[Note: comments Genjix Namarul7 and Tef, are about pictures I have taken down…So their critiques were right on the mark, and do not reflect the art that you see in this thread. I apologize for removing the pictures…I was just too depressed, looking at them myself… I apologize]

[removed, due to frustration] I just did not like it

Maybe you should close her mouth a bit. It’s hard to tell if her tounge is sticking out a bit or if you see inside her mouth. Put in some shadows on a new layer and the shapes will start to form.

[Note: comments Genjix Namarul7 and Tef, are about pictures I have taken down…So their critiques were right on the mark, and do not reflect the art that you see in this thread. I apologize for removing the pictures…I was just too depressed, looking at them myself… I apologize]

[removed, due to frustration] I just did not like it

Here is the link strait back to the new work.

I am trying stuff with reference images. This is a 4 color rough. I may add new shades, but I want to refine this one a little bit more.

I know that it is a skew, but I think it is ok, so far.

Do you see any Sketch removed from my tread ? NO!
Even the worst are in there , why ? It is called evolution, do not be ashamed by your sketch.

Now our comments looks dull and that offending us.

Oh, man…

I am sooo sorry. Please know, that I did not intend to turn your well meant critisizms into negatives.

I thought your critiques of my “art” was just what I needed.

I am sorry… I just could not stand those pictures. I look at other sketchbooks, and it looks like you all spend time doint things right, and not rushing…Me, on the other hand, I tried doing things I am not good at, and then posting them on the internet…freestyle…I shouldnt do what I am not good at.

Please forgive me… I will put [photo removed] marks there, to make sure you get no bad reflection, that was not my intent.

again…sorry. My prior pics were depressing me. I should probably put them back…I will, I guess.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/3552/4brwncol1fw3.th.jpg

4 color rough in OpenCanvas

2nd 4 color rough(excluding the sweeter and flower)

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5876/4r2alrg1kc8.th.jpg

what version of Open Canvas are you using? the 1.0 version that has the internet connectivity or one of the newer versions? Just thinking out loud about having some sort of doodle meet-up, and wondering if i could get that to work with my Wacom through Linux… Anyway, i’ve never done that with anyone… might be fun :stuck_out_tongue:

Anywho, one of the best ways to learn painting is to start out by focusing entirely on light and shadow. Do some greyscale studies instead of color ones. It gives you one less thing to worry about, so you can focus on contrast and defining the shapes and stuff. A lot of digital painters actually keep this method, and will paint everything in shades of grey and then go back on a colorizing layer to add color to their painting after it’s done. They might do some touchups and stuff after, but most of their painting process is done without color at all. Some like it, some don’t.

You’re getting your shapes looking good, it’s the shading and forms that need some practice. Another good tip for training paintings is to use referrence photos where the main light source isn’t the camera’s flash. It will kill your shadows and contrast something fierce. Do some googles for photographer’s websites and use some of their portraits for referrence, or you could get some DVD’s and take screenshots of some close-ups and use those as reference for sketches and stuff as well.

Keep working, you’re improving :smiley:

Cool, man.
Yeah, I’m using Oc 1, with the internet connect thing. That would be cool to hook up with you.

Thank you for the tips. I have downloaded a lot of art forum pages a while back, and have been reading through some… I remember reading something about what you are talking about, a while back. I saw an event file, once, where this guy was painting a face and started out grey-scale, like you said: he then colorized it, then added subtle shades of color and highlights.

My coloring is totally harsh. I really want to draw from my imagination, but proportions fail me. To draw something, I have to search a reference image with a similar angle I am looking for, then I can get close.

Sometimes, it’s luck that I get a curve right, then i just keep it.

One of my favorites lately, is Keven Chen. I downloaded a lot of his sketchbook and tips. I wish I had some of his roughs from Metal Of Honor.

I dig how he sketches, and I love his coloring too. I would really dig hooking up with you, and linking Oc’s together…I could learn a lot fast.

Just let me know what’s up. I am moving on around the 10th, from Louisiana back to Oregon, so if I disapear, it won’t be fore too long, I hope:spin:

Anyways, thanks for the tips, I need them for sure.

I am glad I started visiting this thread, because there are a lot of excellent artists here.

I’ll have to dig up a working link, the one i used the last few times to get OC has gone missing from the internet :stuck_out_tongue:

Eventually you’ll just naturally get better at roughing out shapes and proportions. it’s always good to draw a variety of stuff, and to change it up a lot. Draw some faces, draw some full figures, do some building and landscape sketches. Do some stuff really really detailed and rendered, and do some stuff quickly, but as accurate as you can. It may seem like you’re training your hand to draw, but you’re really training your eyes and your mind.

In some ways it’s a lot like learning how to speak. When you’re just a little kid you don’t know that many words and the words are all very simple. Those are teh only words you can use to express yourself. In school they teach you more and more words and you just start using them. Some words you’ll only ever use once in a while, but you still have to learn to say and spell them just like all the other ones.

In the same way, something that you may think will be simple to draw… a doorknob for instance… will seem like it would be a very simple thing to draw out of your head, but chances are the first few times you try it you won’t like your drawing of a doorknob at all. After drawing a few different types of doorknobs you’ll know more about how they’re made and what they look like so you’ll be able to make up your own interesting door knobs later on. Kindof a weird example, but it works :stuck_out_tongue:

Faces, people, animals and other objects are the same. The more of them you draw from study the better you will be at making them up as you go, and you’ll be able to put more and more detail into them. But even the best artists in the business will have a huge collection of reference material. Get subscriptions to National Geographic and other magazines, print out photos from the web, etc. I’ve got a file cabinet full of old photos from the 40s 50s and 60s for car and clothes reference. Stuff like that is really useful when you have a specific idea you want to do, but limited knowledge on the subject.

Thanks for the inspiration. Maybe we could sync up on OpencCanvas, soon.
I guess if we can find an average time when we are online together and got an hour to kick around, we could sync up.

I never used that function of Oc before, but It looks easy enough. I dunno, maybe drop me a PM or something.

It was great, seeing the work of “IdrawGirls”, his stuff is great. But, I very much like Keven Chen’s style of sketching.

I think a big problem of mine, is drawing with the mouse. There is a ways before I can get a tablet, but I have an old fax/scanner I can use(I just busted my flatbed scanner, trying to fix the bulb…lol. I opened it , heard a “crunch” and everything kinda sprang out.:eek:) lol. ooops.

The fax/scanner is ok…as long as I don’t open it.

Edit: Oh yeah, Here at mediafire, I uploaded OpenCanvas1…this has the network connect + Chat window.

thanks. it does work with the Wacom, but no pressure sensitivity. Can’t win em all i guess :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m central standard Time, but there are some day when i am free pretty much all day long. If you’re in IRC or something and can get a hold of me, that’s probably the best way. #blenderchat. My name is the same there as it is here :stuck_out_tongue: i’m not as good (at all) digital, but it’s always fun to goof around with that app.

Cool.

I’ll check IRC for ya, I am also Central time…well, at least until the 10th, then I will be pacific time…cuz I am moving up North :slight_smile:

I’ll just check for ya when I get to Oregon, around the 12th, I think.