New "Planet" procedural texture by Farsthary

Thanks for the new texture Farsthary! As much as I enjoy seeing new stuff, any news about remeshing for SPH particles? They are super cool to work with, especially after the last fixes by Janne but without a way to turn them into a mesh they are not really useful. I hope you can return to work on this some day.

@tyrant monkey

the other developers you put down tend to finish what they start and get them included into trunk.

There are layers of developpers in blender, the core devs are the only ones that should put or remove things into trunk, while I have commit access I still far from the core layer so I could not commit the simplest feature even if I finish it, I have to wait for the approval/interest of a core dev … the day I become part of the core (and I wish to) then take for sure I will personally commit my stuffs.

This was a small feature I code for a weekend local project that I share with the world with the hope of being useful to others, is not a full project (wich indeed will be very easy to add new procedurals to Blender and could be an excelent way for a newbie dev)
I have resumed the work on Unlimited clay and have some faboulous news for you by the end of this week … sorry could not tell more :stuck_out_tongue:

@ Kai Kostack:

I’m not yet convinced by this. It still looks like a procedural texture and I can’t think of a planet with such kind of structures. Better call it slime texture, that would fit more the visual style I think.

I found this interesting when I found it:
http://www.iquilezles.org/www/articl…/morenoise.htm
In fact I use a similar approach, taking the noise derivatives … but I extend it with the curl vector of the noises, just using the central differences because although the analythical derivatives are faster at the same time are less flexible because they will work only knowing the structure of the base noises, and not all noise base have analythical derivatives, in a trade between user flexibility or speed, I always will choose flexibility.

I’m happy because without many resources I have reached the same conclussion that this guy did: that noise derivatives are much more interesting for terrains than the noise itself, once Blender get micropolygon displacement integrated (why is still not in trunk :confused:???) then the true power of the procedurals will be unleashed for terrains :evilgrin:

@Farsthary

do you think that this new texture can be use to make nice looking stones?
i mean like you find on old buildings Gothic church or public building
which can be rectangular or roughly rectangular!

it would be fantastic to get any special text type for stone texturing with a realist look in blender!

and is there going to be a built for this planey texture at graphical.org for vista soon to test and work with!

keep up the good work and happy 2.5

Euhm where do I put other developers down when I clearly state that I don’t have any disrespect to the other developers ? Can I help it that Farsthary comes up with different interesting stuff ? Sorry for being positive… .

On the other hand with regards of communications there are developers out there which could take a lesson of two from farsthary.

he prototypes lots of interesting stuff but rarely finishes what he starts before another project comes along and the previous project dies. I just wish he was more of a Michelangelo and less of a Leonardo.

Indeed, that is what Hoverkraft jestfully said before he edited his remark. Farsthary is more a coding artist/experimentalist than a full fledged developer (I’m sure he’d agree) He does tend to jump on something, prototype some GREAT stuff (volumetrics, clay, SPH,…) but never seems to bring it to term since something else will capture his attention and the rest will drop by the wayside. Sure, he’s severely limited in access to other developers and other resources, sometimes he DOES work on something for quite a period (Clay), but a lot of development seems to just die… lots of us are still waiting for his SPH skinning. The SPH dynamics were looking fantastic but that was already some months ago. I guess we can’t complain as he is doing all this as a hobby and not as a paid developer, so yeah, Tyrant Monkey said it very well with his Michelangelo/Leonardo comparison…

RickyBlender: If you mean patterns for stones complete with mortar then I don’t think that is what Farsthary has in mind here, this is more like a really powerful texture type for very complex texture types like terrain and uneven rock-strata.

If you want a procedural that can make mortared stone patterns then that should be a second new texture type that can smartly produce patterns based on geometry.

no not talking about the joints

only have a good texture for stone faces on large rectangular stone like found on old church or public building
some texture that would looks like real thing with some jagged edges other part might be rounded ect

right now we don’t really have good texturing for this effect!

but may be this planet texture can do the jobs with some adjusment may be
as soon as there is a built i would test this and see results!

mind you it would be nice to have the joints too !

may be by using the Brick nodes + this planet texture there might be a way to do this?

thanks

farsthary worked hard and finised volumetric rendering for Blender 2.5. These was his great succes, don't forget about it ;).

And he also are open for cash dotations from Blender community - this put weight of liability for him ;).

Matt Ebb “finished” volumetric rendering. Nothing against Farsthary but I wish people would get their facts straight.

Hey, I just built the current Trunk with the Planet patch:
http://blender.dingto.de/branches/trunk_33341_with_planet.7z

DingTo

I’m am grateful towards any guy and doll giving time for having Blender advancing by any means. I think these efforts should rather be encouraged than criticized… IMO…

Nobody is criticizing the effort, I am criticizing that people put Farsthary on some kind of podest as a the uber-blender-coder. My problem with this is that I find it disrespectful to the people that end up finishing what he starts (eg Jahka, broken). I am really, really grateful for every single development for blender, regardless if it ends up in trunk or not. But Farsthary is getting a lot of praise for stuff he simply didn’t code and that irks me. If you read his blog you will see that Farsthary himself always stresses that others helped him get his stuff into shape and he is very thankful to these people. I wish some people would realize this.

Farsthary if you read this I hope you are not offended and understand the point I am trying to make. I know that you are the last to take credit for somebody elses work.

@Dingot

thanks for the built
began testing and it’s a very cool texure
which is refreshing in 2.5 and offers new choice to work with

i have to continue to experiment with this

hope this get in 2.5

thanks happy 2.5

In dev mailing list another build :

here is a Linux build with the Planet texture, 64-bit nocona arch.,
built using Ubuntu 10.10, r33343
http://rowdyrabbit.com/blender/BlenderWithPlanetTexLinux64bitNocona.tar.gz

@Hoverkraft Farsthary is a great blender coder and a very talented man, and this is NOT disrespectful at all, if you think that other developers are better, then try convene others to put them at a higher pedestal.

He is making a volunteer coder, he has to have fun with it, and if he gets something finished form that, amazing, if not, NO PROBLEM !
We as community only have to wish that any of them could grow, but if that isn’t the case, again NO PROBLEM. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO CRITICIZE THE WAY THAT A GUY IS TAKING FUN WITH HIS SPARE TIME.:no:

-He definitively start the volumetric rendering effort into blender, btw, many thanks to Matt for make it real.
-He finished a patch for group as layers and no blenderhead seems to care about.
-He Finished SPH particles, left surfacing. And yes, sph as it is is already very useful.
-He is making progress in unlimited clay, he doesn’t seems to stop.
-He finished a new amazing procedural texturing, i already play with it and is amazing.
-He didn’t finish his pathtracer and other GI methods, and as he said he latter realize that this could be beyond his resources.

So i don’t see how many times he left/fail a project, AGAIN, he is having fun with his spare time coding. And unless you pay him a salary, and not erratic donations, we should support him to keep FIRST having fun with his coding time, then try to expect something solid, otherwise he could left the blender contribution forever.

Cheers

You don’t get at all what I am trying to say, no problem. You don’t have to defend him as I was not attacking him, but it is nice that you do anyway. No hard feelings I hope. Some will get what I am trying to say, some don’t. I shouldn’t have been bothered by this in the first place, as you say, any development is good.

Hi Agus3D,
This part bang into my head!.. Is it already to be found in the latest betas on GraphicAll? Is it also working in OSX’s versions? I rally would dig to try such thing out!!! :wink:

It’s not a bad thing what Farsthary is doing. Indeed he brought us some CG holy grails, but wat he’s doing is inherent to the personality of an INTP. He has a great idea, start it and (maybe after losing interest) move to the next project. The best way to make use of an INTP is to give him a team to catch his ideas whenever they emerges, just like it’s happened with Matt on the Volumetrics front and with Jashaka/ Stephen with SPH.