During today’s site update, the topics listing also got updated; post categories are now no longer shown in a separate column, but below the topic title:

There’s quite a bit of debate in the Discourse community about this, the aim is to have less ‘clutter’ on the screen, but some people find that the topic list is a bit harder to ‘scan’ now. I haven’t decided yet what I prefer, I’ll give it a few days to make up my mind.

What do you think?

• I prefer categories in a separate column
  • I prefer the new look, with the category below the post title
0 voters
1 Like

Guess I’ll be the one to ask something stupid: How is it different from before?

See the introduction text above:

Thanks. I was hoping for a visual comparison.

In any case, it feels like the poll is missing the option ‘Whatever’ :stuck_out_tongue:

Doesn’t a ‘topic line’ take more space now vertically? Seeing more topics at first glance is better in my opinion.

I believe it was like this: (Taken from discourse.org)

Before:

After:

1 Like

It’s slightly less compact yes, but not 2x as high. The Sketchfab forum is still on an older version, you can see the old layout there.

1 Like

Thanks for the comparison. The irony of finding a glimpse of the old layout on their own site.

Generally I’m not against the new layout and the vertical separation can be tweaked using Stylebot.

I voted center but this actually works better now with the Stylus addon. I have tags hidden too so now there’s a gap under the titles which make the list easier to scan. There’s also more space for long titles before going to new line (I’m always zoomed to 170%).

With the css hack I prefer the new layout.

devtalk.blender.org also is still on the older version. Can’t yet decide what to prefer though…

Once into a leaf category of the forum hierarchy displaying the category again seems redundant. Good for consistency though. /just_saying :thinking::loudspeaker:

New way is probably easier on mobile. I prefer the old, but am adaptable.

1 Like

I agree. This modeling category contains thread1 that is about modeling, and thread2 that is about modeling, wonder what the third thread is about, oh wow another modeling thread with the additional tag of modeling.

And the first thread contains an opening post by nick, signed with a nick, and it’s a topology question without showing the topology.

quote from an other post of mine, and ill stick with that, this is just a mess. your in a section like game engine, does every topic title needs to remind you of that?

But people only speaking about the navigation section, what about the reduced visibility of the tag system?
You want to relay more on it, but in the same time it get’s way harder to look at it.

I vote for the new layout. The vertical space increment is marginal, while it leaves more space horizontally, for eventually s.t. else.

In the dark theme, I have found that this does impede scanning a bit. Because the category names are bright white, like unread threads, it’s somewhat more difficult to tell if a thread is one you’ve already looked at or not. Usually it takes a second glance. I was also in the habit of using the category column in the New Topics layout to quickly find new threads in specific categories. That’s a little bit more difficult now.

I thought something looked a little different. I think the new layout is HORRIBLE. The only thing I see now when trying to read the thread title is the category and tags.

I agree, when you go inside a “category”, you see the same name of that category under every thread…a bit heavier to read.
Actually, for a “what’s new” navigation is better than before… so…if it’s not possible to customize this per navigation-style my vote go for this new solution…I’ll adapt myself

I am fine with both layouts. Sadly, there is no option ‘both are fine’. Voting for new one, mostly because I like the new approach to have a chance.

New layout is much worse for readability when you are just reading post titles.

I prefer the new layout, however the colour scheme as it currently is makes it difficult to scan topic titles. It would be easier to scan if the category tags were a different shade as @Fweeb has suggested.