New Project -Zombie Love Story

I’m starting up a new personal project… a short animation that will probably be 1 or 2 minutes in length when done. I’m going to try my best to do it all in Blender and I think I’ll show as much of my process as possible here.

I wrote a short script and normally will start with an animatic but I wanted to see a character that would give me an idea on the design I’m looking for so today I did bit of modeling.

Hopefully I will stay motivated and continue to work on this providing many updates (I guess maybe this thread). This idea has been on my shelf for many years so I’d like to actually do something with it. I actually own ZombieLoveStory.com because I wanted to pitch this to a studio but I think it would be more fun to just do it as a personal project (no pressures) :eyebrowlift:. Besides, all these animated monster movies are coming out and a Paranorman teaser already beat me to one of the gags :(.

This guy is not textured at all (just put simple colors on him to get the idea). He needs eyebrows! This is kinda the look I’m going for. I’ll work with his design some more but I think he fits into the ZLS world.

Great model! Love to see how this would turn out.
Don’t know if I’m qualified to give any critique, but if there was any, it might be inconsistent proportions. His head-body-arm ratios tell me he’s a teen/adult, but his leg-body-arm ratios tell me he’s a kid.
Hope I’m not pulling your leg…

Love the style but I agree with Largo.
-If he’s a kid make arms shorter and eyes bigger, face rounder.
-If he’s a adult make the legs longer.

A zombie love story? Sounds strange (and I thought my idea of anthropomorphic robots was strange enough :confused:)
Well…this’ll be interesting to see.

Just…Er…what was the intended age range of the character?

Gooood feedback! I’m not very good at character design… which is why I work through it like this (trial and error). I wasn’t really thinking about this guy’s age. The main characters are going to be a kids/young adults… I would say maybe 12 or 13.

The short takes place in a school gymnasium. The main character is a young man (a zombie) who falls in love with a cheerleading zombie killer. This sequence is when he first sees the girl.

The idea is that this zombie kid (main character) can speak and think very clearly unlike all the other zombies who just mutter “brains” all the time. He’ll be telling the story to another zombie but we’ll flash back to a sequence of his encounter with the girl. It will be narrated the whole time by the main character.

I’ll work on this guy a bit when I get in to the office today. I’m thinking he’ll be a background zombie or something. I want the main character to have a lot of appeal. I’ll have to think about it. My avatar was a stab at making him but I want him to be less gory and more human.

Here’s an update of this guy… shortened neck, shortened legs and arms, squashed head a bit and made it slightly wider, squashed body a bit, changed out black clothes just so he wouldn’t look so hard.

Here’s a Cycles render… man that engine makes things insta-beautiful!

cool model, however… his proportions are now childish but his face is too angular for a 12/13 year old. Add 5 years and his face fits perfectly. That said, the way he is animated will dictate his age as much as his appearance.

Oh yes, Great storyline… nothing wrong with a bit of zombie romance!

Yeah… I think he’s kinda a background character for now although I’m having a lot of fun playing with him. I threw in a rigify rig and posed him… the more I play with Blender, the more I like it. What I just did in the past few hours would have taken me a week to do in Lightwave.

I think I might keep his body and remodel the head for the hero character. If you guys see any good reference, post it up here! :eyebrowlift:

Cool idea man, getting started is always the hardest part. Its awesome to see how your character develops from the pictures. Keep us updated!

I’d help with that but I can’t think of exactly how I could find references. Best thing I could say is look at images of cartoon kids. Then base the character off of the proportions of that.

By the way. That kid looks almost like someone who used to go to my high school…

Here’s another… less stylized head. Hmmmm… not sure if I like it.

Worked on him over the weekend just constantly changing his shapes until I got something I liked. I added some shading today… still no textures. Started playing with hair. I really like Blender’s hair. I’m unable to paint hair on subsurface objects but I guess I can paint maps for where hair will be… have to try that later. Currently, I’m using vertex groups.

Ok… some images:

Ok… one more… with better hair. :slight_smile:

Some texturing…

I liked the hair! :slight_smile: it is particles hair or a mesh texturized?

Looking great! Nice skin shader.

Thanks guys… that’s Blender’s particle hair.

I tell you. He still kind of looks like someone from my high school.
Anywho, good job. :slight_smile:

Some texturing… he’s almost done… :yes: