New Renderfarm System

It seems as if writing renderfarm systems has been popular lately, and as it turns out, I’ve written one as well. Seeing as Ideasman took the good name (blenderfarm), I’ve called it BigPicture. It can do both animations and single-frame renders accross multiple computers. It is know to work on Windows and Linux, and it should work on Mac as well (I don’t have a mac, so I couldn’t test it). For more information and a download link go to my web site:

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~ekstrand/bigpicture/bigpicture.html

I am looking for someone to test it on Mac, so that I know how well it works. If you know python, and would be interested in helping with the Mac end of things, drop me an e-mail. Anyway, have fun with it. Questions and Comments are welcome.

hi looks like a decent solution, but im having this error on server startup, does you know what is happening?

Unhandled exception in thread started by <function networkhandler at 0x2b9b2f0f3a28>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “server.py”, line 285, in networkhandler
sock.bind((socket.gethostname(), senv.port))
File “<string>”, line 1, in bind
socket.gaierror: (-2, ‘Name or service not known’)

Fire up a python terminal and type:

import socket
socket.gethostname()

tell me what it says.

If you could give me more information about your system it might help me to figure out the problem.

hmm, i know what happened my /etc/hosts was outdated and was showing a wrong name type for localhost, i will try again now, i think it will work, the output from what you asked returned me my system hostname which is ‘gredesk’, thanks for the reply, i will keep trying later im busy doing other things right now and if i succeed i will inform you.