New to Blender

I just started using Blender a few days ago, one of my friends actively uses it so I decided to give it a try. I’ve found a few tutorials so far that have been greatly helpful but I have a few questions.

1. Does anyone know of any other tutorials for a jump start? So far from all the tutorials I’ve seen from searching on google, many of them are not complete or do not cover much past the extreme basics (user interface).

2. I viewed the gallery, most of those pictures are amazing. About how long does it take one to finish a scene etc with that much detail?

3. How long have you been using blender?

4. What will happen to blender when it goes open source?

http://helium.homeip.net/webring/goring.php?action=all

go there to see a list of many blender sites which most have tutorials, im sorry i cant point you directly to a site with beginner tutorials, but look threw em, i know youll find some good stuff! =)

oh yeah, welcome to the community!! oh theres a hazing ritual in which you must render only feet for the first 4 months :wink:

ive been using blender for over 2 years now…i like it, i love it! it takes me about 5 strate hours to complete a whole scene, but when the content is new to me, such as architecture and explosions like in the weekend challenge contest in here at elysiun, it takes about 8-12 hours maybe =) usual AM hours too :-?

i dunno where blender will go in open source, but its a huge step up from going no where! :wink: and wherever it goes, i shall follow 8)

-chris
u can check out some new stuff i do at my page below and where ive gotten with blender =D and feel free to critize the hell out of it :wink:

Ingiebee has the old tutorials from the Blender.nl website. Also a User Interface tutorial. I started with this one.

http://www.ingiebee.com/tutorials.htm

There’s also:

and a lot of others which I forgot.

Martin

Hello jchen!!! :smiley:

Wellcome to elysiun.com (and Blender ofcourse).

1. Does anyone know of any other tutorials for a jump start?

You could also checkout:

www.blenderwars.com
and don’t forget to check the Blender knowledge base here at elysiun.

1. I viewed the gallery, most of those pictures are amazing. About how long does it take one to finish a scene etc with that much detail?

It depends on your talent.

1. How long have you been using blender?

2 years.

1. What will happen to blender when it goes open source?

A lot of free/open source modelling/rendering/animating progs have vanished mainly because of lack of interest from others. Blender has better chances, mainly because it has a huge community which is willing to support it. In my guess, Blender has good chances to become one of the best (if not THE BEST) in this category.

Good luck and… keep blending.

Wow, Juicy is still around? I forgot about them… Ok and also, I’m busy reformating the old Blendermania Tutorials (if anyone has done this already, and /or has them up, please let me know, it’s exhausting-I’m just redoing them, that’s easier than modifying the code, so they’ll look slightly different)

As long as nobody objects, I’ll have them up on my site in a week or so. Even if they aren’t done, as soon as I have, like 10 or so done, I’ll put them up.

Anyway, hope it helps, this was my first blender “hang out” when I first started, and they’re still excellent tutorials!

Love Ingie

1. I viewed the gallery, most of those pictures are amazing. About how long does it take one to finish a scene etc with that much detail?

It depends on your talent.

And how much time you want/are willing/need to put into it. I don’t work on things for very long, so they still look like they’re from someone in between a newbie and an intermediate. They’re called “internewbies.” Well, not really…

I’m better at lamps than modeling! That’s why I’m like an internewbie, although I can work many of the intermediate tutorials all right: I’m familiar with most things in the interface, but modeling is entirely different.

PS: Ingie, where do you get the tutorials? Because they’re so much like you’re back at the Blender.nl site! (I felt like David at the end of “AI: Artificial Intelligence” when I saw those tutorials! “AI” is the second best film of last year, but that’s going off-topic.)

CubeFan: well, that’s probably because they are EXACTLY the tuts from Blender.nl :stuck_out_tongue:

Martin

Not exactly. For one thing, they’re the print versions, not the original pages. Also, the addresses aren’t the same. Still, they ARE the same things.

It’s nice to see that those that stuck around are helping others. Before Blender went pshycho, people were acting like jerks and were not very helpful (been around Blender for about 3 years).

Cool. :wink: