New Unity runtime package pricing

Interesting news from the Unity team: they’re going to charge $0.20 for each runtime install and retired the Indie tier!

Basically they will track your game’s runtime installs (“conservatively estimate install numbers”) and charge for each install! Hurray!

For example:

Lets say a free to play game gets 2 million downloads and earns $0.1 per user. That’s hit the $200,000 threshold, so now the company owes $0.15 per install over 100,000, that’s 1,900,000 installs. So unity would then bill you $285,000?
So you have gone from +$200,000 to -$85,000?!

Even better: it seems existing games will now be incurred extra costs via this system as well. And re-installs are counted separately! Woohoo!

As you can imagine smaller and mid-sized game studios are in a state of panic right now. And rightly so.

Unity just can’t help shooting themselves in the foot. No indie developer or aspiring hobby game maker is going to use Unity anymore. Schools will probably stop teaching Unity and switch to teaching Unreal (if they hadn’t already made the switch).

It’s pretty straightforward to see that there is no future for indies who use Unity: they can increase runtime installs prices at any point whenever they feel like it. Developers cannot run or hide. Potential growth spurts of your game (read: going viral) may result in taking a huge financial hit unless the developer carefully planned for this.

In short: it’s a mess. Lots of confusion, lots of angry loyal devs. Studios planning to move away from Unity.

Great news though for Godot, Unreal Engine, Game Maker, and others. They’ll be receiving a large flock of new users, no question about that!

8 Likes

One of the questions on Unity’s forum in response to this news:

Tx said:

Is there a converter from Unity to Godot?

Yes.

https://github.com/barcoderdev/unitypackage_godot

Other response that pretty much sums up the feelings of the Unity developer crowd:

There’s no going back. Even if they retract it we’re gonna be left questioning what crap they’re gonna pull next. No way am I developing in that uncertainty. Unity just disappeared from the engine options list for a lot of people.

2 Likes

Well… Says it all, doesn’t it? 5 days ago.

7 Likes

I read that, and it sounds so ridiculous that I am left to wonder if the Babylon Bee had a new business section, either that or the area around San Francisco has some really funky chemicals in its water supply because of the now entrenched drug culture in that state.

Your guide to Unity Management
Dilbert - Wikipedia

And it gets better: aside from all of the other bad news, Unity users will have to be online most of the time to be able to use Unity at all.

Starting in November, Unity Personal users will get a new sign-in and online user experience. Users will need to be signed into the Hub with their Unity ID and connect to the internet to use Unity. If the internet connection is lost, users can continue using Unity for up to 3 days while offline.

To top it all, since Unity Plus is cancelled as well it means that developers have to get the Pro sub to remove the Unity logo/branding from their projects. And of course, “dark mode” seems to be part of the Pro license as well.

$2040 for the option to rebrand splash screens in a game engine…

I am quite happy to be using Godot, thank you very much :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Some interesting information in this Game Developer article:

Unity Create president Marc Whitten told Game Developer the company is seeking to “better balance the value exchange” between Unity and developers.

Gotta love that bizniz speak: “better balance the value exchange”.

Later on Whitten becomes unexpectedly somewhat more honest (well, at least the first part is honest):

As he put it, “we want to make more money so that we can continue to invest in the engine.”

I don’t follow Unity all that closely, but the company hasn’t done real well financially – 900 layoffs this year so far and a financial loss of roughly $200mil last quarter IIRC. They must think that too many people are tied into their ecosystem to revolt against this, so I’m guessing they think they’ll come out ahead.

I like to see few things more than have such maneuvers result in a financial drubbing, but I wouldn’t bet that they’re miscalculating. A lot of people do get locked into a system and it would be costly for them to switch.

But if I were a new game developer, I would most definitely take this into account: Unity is perfectly willing to change the terms of their agreements with you any time they want and without your consent. That might not be a company with which you want to associate while there are alternatives.

5 Likes

Meanwhile on the Unity Forum, the ongoing PR disaster in their announcements may actually be the fastest growing thread in more than a decade of discussion there.

It is also attracting a lot of comments from the so-called “silent majority” who generally put up with the engine’s flaws and regressions because they thought it was still superior to the alternatives, and now there is the threat of a lot of Unity titles just vanishing from game stores on Jan 1st, 2024 (which may include a lot of well-known titles).

All in all, I really have to congratulate Unity Tech. on (possibly) figuring out a way to go from cornering the indie market to outright committing suicide. It shows that we can also have Blender really make inroads into top-tier studios if we can figure out how to get Autodesk to do the same thing (ie. there is no such thing as a company that is large enough and entrenched enough to permanently keep the FOSS alternative in the sandbox). Just make sure the government does not drop books of new regulations on licensing terms, development, and pricing.

2 Likes

Industry professionals response: “If you’re starting a new game project, do not use Unity.”

3 Likes

Well we’re talking the US government here, right?
You bet hell freezes and the frankensteined corpse of Valdimir Lenin gets elected President of the United States, before that happens, so fear not.

greetings, Kologe

2 Likes

…And another FY aimed in the general direction of their users.

According to a Unity lawyer

“Our terms of service provide that Unity may add or change fees at any time. We are providing more than three months advance notice of the Unity Runtime Fee before it goes into effect. Consent is not required for additional fees to take effect, and the only version of our terms is the most current version; you simply cannot choose to comply with a prior version. Further, our terms are governed by California law, notwithstanding the country of the customer. ”

Like that’s gonna fly in the EU and other countries. The sheer arrogance on display is breathtaking.

Fun meme posted on Unity thread :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Unity are unity.

I can understand some one use it because its “optimized” (which is not really truth) and theres a tons of tutorials and courses, but its a mystery for me how someone can use this with any ideological attach to those company.

Heres unity lies shamelessly about Geometrics company and their product Enlighter:

I saw how unity post in their official twitter channel some news like “Look at this beatifull game!” and put a #madewithunity
Guess what? The game which they talking about was using Unreal Engine right from the start and was never connect to unity by any means.
I also saw a commentary under posts like that like - “hey, its not the first time you post a game which actually maded with Unreal”. Can be just an error? yup, can be, but…

For me it looks like the whole unity company are full of various kind of crap from technical to general aspects.

Q: Does this affect WebGL and streamed games?
A: Games on all platforms are eligible for the fee but will only incur costs if both the install and revenue thresholds are crossed. Installs - which involves initialization of the runtime on a client device - are counted on all platforms the same way (WebGL and streaming included).

…each time a user starts a Unity WebGL game in their browser is counted as an “install”.

Madness. Absolute madness.

Q: Are these fees going to apply to games which have been out for years already? If you met the threshold 2 years ago, you’ll start owing for any installs monthly from January, no? (in theory). It says they’ll use previous installs to determine threshold eligibility & then you’ll start owing them for the new ones.
A: Yes, assuming the game is eligible and distributing the Unity Runtime then runtime fees will apply. We look at a game’s lifetime installs to determine eligibility for the runtime fee. Then we bill the runtime fee based on all new installs that occur after January 1, 2024.

More madness. One person points out on the Unity forum that their 12-year old game still is generating revenue beyond $200.000K and a ~million installs per year. This will kill his business.

It looks like they’re trying to squeeze as much quick cash out of the company as they can before it collapses. Gotta love capitalism.

3 Likes

More fun developments! An employee (developer) posted (anonymously using a new forum account) the following on the Unity forums.

The mere fact that an employee feels the need to take direct action like this is a very bad sign of the current state of in-company politics.

What a mess.

Current Unity employee here. I feel compelled to post something because I’m completely appalled at some of the initial choices for this new pricing model and most importantly at the poor and confusing communications around it.

I and many, many of my colleagues have had a very bad last 12+ hours. We work hard to give you the tools to create amazing games all the way from indie to large studios. We love celebrating your successes with the Unity engine and many of us are up in arms internally about all this.

Let’s explain what the changes are about in plain English:

Unity needs to generate more revenue to eventually be a profitable company so we can sustain developing Unity for many years to come. Employees need to be paid or there’s no engine, as simple as that.
Many very profitable game studios pay very little to Unity compared to their other costs of business, despite the Unity engine being an essential part of their game/product. The price changes are aimed at this ~10% of customers as a way to scale their costs with success via revenue+installs.
Yes, there’s also a will to bring more users on Unity pro when they use Unity to build a product for a business with meaningful revenue. Sadly, good news of the extended availability of Unity free to larger funding thresholds and some extra features were buried in everything else.

To focus on a few key points that have somewhat changed since the initial announcements… Sadly the OP and FAQs haven’t been fully updated yet with some of these changes.

Installs
Installs are meant to be per unique user.
CI, tests, and other automations will not be charged
We don’t want to charge for fraudulent installs (install bombs, piracy, etc.)
There will not be an embedded “phone home” mechanism
Unity hasn’t actually completely figured out how to count installs yet. Whatever the solution is, it will be conservative. It will potentially/probably undercount installs, but definitely not overcount.
We will not charge for charities
For subscription services, Unity will talk with the subscription service’s distributor, not the game creator
There will be an online calculator very soon ™ to model your potential costs
Yes, in this current form, it’s possible for successful games with very high install counts and low enough per-install revenue to lose money when more people install their game.
When this is raised internally, the answer is “we would fix this with the customer to not bankrupt them”. It would be great to prevent this upstream in the actual policy.

Know also that all of the concerns that are understandably blowing up at the moment have been raised internally by many weeks before this announcement. Why it was decided to rush this out anyway in this way I can only speculate about.

Personal hopes for further corrections to this pricing model:

Address point 5 above so we don’t punish success
Reverse course to charge per-install fees to already published games (that still generate sizable revenue)
And change the terms to guarantee that a similar retroactive price change can never happen again!
Get our act together in terms of comms and marketing to avoid generating so much needless panic and anxiety both from you all and internally.

Take care of each other, and take a break from all this for your mental health if you need it.
And don’t stop respectfully yelling at crazy ideas so they can be corrected.

3 Likes

I guess it might be one of those inverse bait and switch things where they announce something ultra terrible so that people feel relief when they later on announce that the thing they are going to do is only terrible instead of ultra terrible.

2 Likes

Just saw this tweet:
https://twitter.com/FreyaHolmer/status/1701693938757681318

I know we don’t like acquisitions but maybe microsoft could buy unity, as a treat

Freya is quite well known in the Unity community and seeing this kind of message in combination with her other tweets is pretty depressing.

Unity just can’t keep up with Unreal… they just can’t (in terms of revenue generation and tech advances). This is desperation on their part, and if developers leave the platform in droves, Unity will be dead in the water. I see a fire sale acquisition in Unity’s future.

It’s a very niche usage, but for standalone VR Unitys performance profile is a way better fit than Unreal (+ convenience of C# over blueprint), where it doesn’t feel like your fighting the engine to get it running at a decent baseline. I haven’t checked in years, but I’d wager same still goes for mobile where the engine size bloat is an issue.

If Unity goes down or is not a viable option anymore it does leave a pretty big hole in market, that maybe out of the current options Godot could fill.

1 Like

I already see tons of Godot C# coding tutorials in the next months

The Unity forums thread now has more than 4000 posts saying ‘screw you’ to the company. So far, there has been no attempt by the staff to shut the discussion down, whitewash the forum of all mention of the recent move, or at least do a full backpedal in favor of a simpler option like a royalty.

This is also historic because many long-time users are beginning to pack their bags and leave the engine behind, this is going to be talked about in business circles for a long time.

1 Like