Newbie needs help

Hi all! Ive been lurking around here for some time now, trying to learn little by little. And of course I try the hardest thing first–a human face. I figure if I can tackle the harder things first, then the easy stuff is much easier. I got one of my friends to let me take pics of her so I could try. Now Im completely stuck. I think Ive gotten pretty far without knowing much of this program. I;ve been working on it for about a month now. And referred to TorQs tutorial A LOT. Then it suddenly vanished. ( Is it back yet?) But here is what I have so far. Im sorry if the pics are big. Im attaching the reference pics as well. I hate that it renders in perspective…makes the nose look humongous. I tried to upload the BL file but dont know how? Photobucket doesnt accept it.
Thanks!
Kim

Attachments

Not sure how you think (or how I think for that matter) the render should work out, but I’ve always thought it was a render of the camaras perspective…hence rendering in perspective.
I used to model in ortho all the time, now I only do it for non organics. It’s much easier (at least in my eyes) to model in perspective form when doing something like a face…then I can ensure what I model is exactly what I’m getting.

As for the models nose…yeah…its just a bit big lol.

Thanks. But being a total newb and the ref pics only working in persp. mode, It doesnt work for me. I really want it to come out looking like her. And Ive restarted it like 10 times…Im really trying to NOT have to restart again. But Im so lost right now.

Heres one I recommended to someone else. Helped me a long time ago and I hope it does wonders for you!

Thanks! But unfortunately I found that about a week or so ago and I do not have a player that supports MKV files.

First, you should download VLC :slight_smile: It’s a video player that plays all kinds of codecs. You don’t really have to, but it is useful, it’s lighter than WMP, and it’s free but they would love some support, just like Blender. Start here if you’re interested.

And slash or, you should goto that first link and watch that movie. It’s the best tutorials on modeling the face I’ve seen.

After you get a good grip on modeling, especially biological creatures, check out makehuman. But not before then! (or else you’ll have good models and not know how to tweak them if you need to.)

Back the camera off a bit and you might want to angle the shot, add some light (sometimes I use multiple lights with different colors just to see what the light will do on render), subsurf some, and then take a face shot, and then take a wire frame shot and you should get some more specific details about modeling this face. Tell your friend I said hello.

And if you want to upload the file you can find somewhere that hosts random stuff like that, or you can email it to me, and I’ll stare at it like I know what I’m doing :slight_smile:

Well I managed to find the AVI version after lurking around on here and watched it. Go figure Im stuck at the very first part. I understand the concept, however the mirror modifier WILL NOT work on a plane. It will work on a cube, and seems as though thats the ONLY thing it will work on. Anyone got any ideas??

The mirror modifier also works on a plane. Before adding the mirror modifier to the plane, move the entire plane (in edit mode) off to the left or right of the centerline. Then add the mirror modifier. If you don’t see the mirrored plane, experiment with the mirror plane selection (it might not be x, depending on which viewport you’re in.)

OK well I got that part to show ( I kept doing it on the Z axis)…but now its not doing the actualy mirroring as it shows in the video. Is there some setting Im missing?

Hiya. That’s a really good tutorial, and one thing that I missed for a while was to push the little buttons next to the modifier names in the modifier pane, circled in the image below.

http://images.munkypix.com/2321/l_0ef436713804b2f3800a0c6a2e23e635.jpg

These buttons apply the modifier in realtime. It can slow things down a bit, but should be ok.
Hope this sorts it out.

Edit: Just checked it out, and to render in perspective, just be sure to put Blender back in perspective mode rather than orthogonal before you render (Numpad5). I always check the camera view to make sure everything’s ok before I start (Numpad0).

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I think part of my problem was I was applying it in object mode, and not edit mode. It finally works! Now hope I can make a face look like a face.

I know its just a nose, but so far MUCH better than when I started. Im just not sure on her lip.

Attachments

Added eyes and around eyes. All C&C welcome and needed!

Attachments

Nice one. Looks like you’re getting some good edge loops forming there for the face. That tutorial is great :D.
Proportions are looking much better too. There is still some fine tuning to do when the face is done, but at this stage, it looks good to me :wink:

Looks like its coming around nicely. My first face I used a alfred hitchock like face - Its kinda funny really

I think Ive seen that one in my lurking…its the bloody one with the screwdriver right?

Last update for the evening…I think. I kinda had to make her look like she was mildly smiling, since I messed up on the lips and really trying not to have to do them over. Will fix the eyes tomorrow…I hope.

Attachments

Another update…fixed the lips ( i think) added cheek area. Still need to work on eyes. Is it beginning to look like her at all?

Attachments

The model is looking pretty good. You’ve got some resemblance to your reference photo. The eyes and lips need some work, and the topology probably does, too. (Maybe not, if you’re following mr_bomb’s tutorial, or if you found TorQ’s A Better Face Tutorial.)

To get advice on the topology, post some wires, which are screenshots (Ctrl+F3) of the 3d edit windows when you are in wire select mode (Ctrl+Tab).

Hey all sorry for the late update, but my comp froze on me when I went to save and the save didnt take. So I had to start over from the next to last save. Oh well. Well here is where I am now.

Orinoco: Thank you for the Ctrl Tab hint, I’ve been trying to figure out how to do that. As for the screenshots, I feel like an idiot as I cant figure it out. I know my topology is off slightly.

Attachments